Pagan's Painting Blog [Devoted of Sigmar]

Pagan

Evening all.

Since returning to The Hobby 18 months ago I've been very naughty and built up an embarrassingly large collection of models and an even more embarrassingly small number of finished armies. Zero to be precise. To that end I present this thread! A place to post my progress with painting/modelling/narrative efforts. 

I have the rest of this week off work and will have plenty of time to paint up a 1k narrative/matched army I have built for Devoted of Sigmar.  The list is as follows:

Lord Celestant on Dracoth (General)
Witch Hunter
Warrior Priest x 2
War Altar of Sigmar
Flagellants 2 x 20

Total = 990 pts

Hopefully enough to have some fun at least! I hope to do a little creative writing for their fluff soon, but my initial idea for them is that they are essentially from a small trading town in some cold/mountainous part of Ghur (do the realms even have a north??). The coming of a zealous Stormcast and a few Azyrites to the town has whipped a large number of the populace into a pro-Sigmar frenzy and formed a semi-rabid mob ready to unleash on the non-Sigmarites in the region. More to come on this as I think on it.

Now onto progress pics...

DSC_0847.JPG.ba8089ab3a75bec62c62366e27ee5271.JPG

The goodies...

DSC_0850.JPG.882e84c524124d4e9cbc562f5f202b8a.JPG

All built...

DSC_0860.JPG.0cb8aab0ddc8f17f4d01118500b92319.JPG

Sprayed and ready to paint!

With all their skin and cloth I'm thinking they're prime candidates for some contrast paint, and I'm hoping I can get them painted pretty quickly while training my speed muscle. Will be back soon with progress! 

Cheers.

DSC_0864.jpg

• Like 2

Quick status update: Jeez painting a squad of 40 is a lot of hard work! For the first time I've had some cramping in my hand and aching in my resting elbow. It feels like manual labour!

The models at the moment are quite a mess. I had the best of intentions to be neat and tidy but that quickly become slapping on colours just to get the main areas blocked in. As we stand all 40 dudes have their robes and skin painted at least.

I used quite a lot of contrast for skin/hair and robes and in lots of cases it's left a quite unacceptable finish which will need serious retouching if not completely painting over. As it stands I have to paint the metals and weapon hafts, followed by last bits of cloth/bandage and then they will be mostly finished. The last step will be a model-by-model touching up process to clean up any mistakes.

DSC_0894.JPG.25bd780258038e3a42948d08130c4fd5.JPG

DSC_0895.JPG.9cfe6324c87eb5f8415918545ba01a23.JPG

Edited by Pagan
  • Like 3

Quick update: 

I have finally managed to finish my first 10 flagellants! I have started putting the finishing touches to them 3-5 at a time so as to preserve my sanity. Painting everything 40x was just too much.

Anyway I'm pleased with the result and looking forward to seeing all 40 finished. More soon!20190920_105623.jpg.972b58301e3165c9efc66892a7256092.jpg

• Like 4

Further 10 flagellants and a warrior priest done. Halfway through the flagellants now, will be finishing the Lord celestant this weekend. 20190926_000514.jpg.6613cfeb2cbda979a0f58acdafc29a5f.jpg

I've become pretty efficient at finishing the flagellants so will do the last batches 10 at a time. The end is in sight! 

• Like 2

I really dig the project - and had no idea Devoted of Sigmar was a subfaction 🙃 - plus your finished Flaggies look really solid. Did you end up using the Contrast as a base layer and working up from that? Guessing you didn't straight up repaint? Regardless, nice finished quality.

On your list, I noticed in scrollbuilder that there's a battalion for these dudes, which may or may not be any good, but which your minis slot right into. The Celestant doesn't fit due to hero restrictions at 1000 points, but you could pop in a (headswapped ftw) Stormcast unit to keep the angelic allies going? Here's my thought:

War Altar of Sigmar*
Warrior Priest*
Warrior Priest*
Witch Hunter*
20 Flaggelants*
20 Flaggelants*
3 Prosecutors
*Pilgrimage of Wrath
1000 // +1 CP

I don't think you're too concerned about Matched Play, but this seems neat. I'm guessing hammer Prosecutors to go with the Sigmar theme.

Edited by Boss Salvage
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the words Boss.

In most cases I went over the contrast basecoats with a second layer of contrast to give the colours more opacity. I think it's worked out well as the first layer was a mix of two colours (mostly Wyldwood mixed with red or green or blue) and then a straight wash or contrast over the top. It means that most of them have a unique colour to their robes which I think is a good thing, they're wearing rags in various states of filth after all!

Nice idea for the list, thanks! I did purposely build in all of the units in the warscroll battalion so that I could take it in a 2k point list, and also it just made for a sensible range of models to purchase/build/paint. I have a ton of unpainted Stormcasts in various starter boxes I have so I will take up your suggestion for an alternative list. I also am pretty excited for the Cities of Sigmar book coming soon, hopefully I can expand the army to 2k points with some more Stormcast/Freeguild and maybe even others.

You're right, I will be playing matched play almost exclusively but I am not concerned at all about the most competetive list, otherwise I wouldn't be building Devoted at all!