Starting a Soulblight Army

So I’m planning a new army and I’m gonna run Soulblight (or legion of blood). Plan is to work up 1000 points first. This is what I’m looking at: 

- Prince Vhordrai 

- 3 Vargheists 

- 5 Blood Knights (using Mantic Soul Reaver Cavalry with Spite Revenant heads. Let me know how these models go if anyone’s used them.) 

- 10 Direwolves

What do people think and if anyone’s got those Mantic units let me know how they go :) 

That will be a great start to your army. The wolves fill the battleline slots in Legion of Blood and are also the perfect screening unit to ally into Soulblight, so you've got both options available. I suggest you try using the dragon as both Vhordrai and a regular Lord, they've both got pros and cons. Typically, Vhordrai is stronger when there's already another dragon in your list.

I haven't used or seen those Mantic models in person but I know they're typically quite a bit smaller than GW's, so the spite heads might be too large for them. If that doesn't work out I suggest you just go with the heads that comes with the riders, I think they look pretty good.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, TMS said:

That will be a great start to your army. The wolves fill the battleline slots in Legion of Blood and are also the perfect screening unit to ally into Soulblight, so you've got both options available. I suggest you try using the dragon as both Vhordrai and a regular Lord, they've both got pros and cons. Typically, Vhordrai is stronger when there's already another dragon in your list.

I haven't used or seen those Mantic models in person but I know they're typically quite a bit smaller than GW's, so the spite heads might be too large for them. If that doesn't work out I suggest you just go with the heads that comes with the riders, I think they look pretty good.

Awesome thanks for the feedback! 

Im thinking of getting another dragon when I expand to 2000 and using mannfred as the rider, so hopefully will have that on hand soon. 

Thats a good point they do look a little small, I’ll keep everyone posted. 

Work on the army has a whole has been going good, nearly finished my first 1000 points. Just have the Zombe dragon to do. Still just a whole lot of unpainted models but we’re getting there. The wargs are great and I’m very happy with them. I’m looking to get the Mannfred model, just the rider though not the dread abyssal, if anyone has an idea if where I can source one that would be awesome. 

3C2F7AAA-B5E8-4D4D-9463-0BE926850E56.jpeg.0fde4a566ba00b61efbe36185f253745.jpeg

4FABE4BD-29E7-4F20-BF91-39D94AE5572A.jpeg.2c4eb4b0405b259e2e8184623c5ffccf.jpeg89D252D6-6C0C-4241-A31A-A55D407D687F.jpeg.b084fd39cf79d802083f6a95c7d0c7e3.jpeg

• Like 1

Remember that the wolves should be on 60x35mm bases, same as the blood knights.

If you want only the Mannfred model then I think ebay or similar is your best bet. There's one listing from the UK at 1/3rd the price of the full kit... but if you know that you want to use one of the mortarchs later on (both Manny and Neffy are soulblight) I would just go for the full kit, or the Skeleton Horde box which is good value if you can unload the extras on someone else.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TMS said:

Remember that the wolves should be on 60x35mm bases, same as the blood knights.

If you want only the Mannfred model then I think ebay or similar is your best bet. There's one listing from the UK at 1/3rd the price of the full kit... but if you know that you want to use one of the mortarchs later on (both Manny and Neffy are soulblight) I would just go for the full kit, or the Skeleton Horde box which is good value if you can unload the extras on someone else.

Oh I totally forgot that with the wolves, thank you haha!

yeah, I might pick up the Skeleton Horde box, I do love the Arkhan model. 

I think Neferata is a good option to have available in both Legion of Blood and Soulblight, anyway. She enables a battalion and provides good abilities for both armies. You could build Mannfred and put him on a dragon and then build Neferata on the mount, magnetized so you can also use Arkhan if you feel like it. He can be allied into Soulblight without issues.