Let's Get Creating - Custom Mercenary Companies!

Hey, folks! I was browsing through the merc companies in my GHB 2019, and was struck by how much potential these little nuggets of weirdness have for bringing narrative elements into a decently-balanced game (without, of course, going full soup-list). I do enjoy tinkering with game rules and creating content for the games I play, and I figured if I was going to try to make my own merc companies and get feedback on them, it might make sense to start a full topic for folks to help each other hone and balance their OCs (Original Companies, do not steal) in order to provide the best experience using them in friendly games.

With that, here's my first custom merc company, the Wild Hunt. My thinking here is to bring a classic and well-known bit of folklore into AoS, while also allowing for some of the lesser-used, coolest-looking, and most-thematically-appropriate Wanderer models to work a little better on tables with Sylvaneth, while maintaining utility for general match-ups .

THE WILD HUNT MERCENARY COMPANY

Less a hired force than unexpected and unasked-for allies, the Wild Hunt work towards their own mysterious purposes.

MERCENARY COMPANY

If you pick this mercenary company to be hired by your army, you must include the following units in your army as MERCENARY units:

• 1-2 Wild Riders

FEY RIDERS

The fey spirits of the Wild Hunt flicker along the spirit paths, the land about them refusing to hinder their spectral steeds.

Choose a keyword from your army. If terrain that you deploy would inflict an effect upon units from this company because those units lack that keyword, roll a die. On a 3+, the unit ignores that effect until the start of the next turn. On a 1 or 2, the unit is affected and may immediately move 2”.

Edited by acr0ssth3p0nd
Rewording Fey Riders to be more universal in its effects.
  • Like 4

I like it. Is there a hero, possibly compendium, that could lead them? And fits the bill? I personally like the ‘named’ hero with his team travelling the realms. 

Maybe one of the mounted glade lords from the wood elf roster?