Critique my Sylvaneth List (2400)

RossMHoward

I'm possibly trying to combine too many different strategies, but the basis is the Gnarlroot Wargrove with a Household, Forest Folk and Outcasts Battalion. 

LEADERS
Drycha Hamadreth (280)

Treelord Ancient (300) -  General, Grizzled Warrior and The Silverwood Circlet

Branchwraith (100)

Branchwraith (100)

Branchwych (100)

UNITS
Dryads x 30 (360) 3 units of 10

Spite-Revenants x 15 (300) 3 units of 5

Kurnoth Hunters x 6 (360)

Tree-Revenants x 15 (300)

BATTALIONS

Gnarlroot Wargrove (80)

Forest Folk (60)

Outcasts (40)

Household (20)

WOUNDS: 127

TOTAL POINTS:

2400 / 2400

The Gnarlroot Wargrove grants each wizard the ability to cast and unbind twice. Given that the Sylvaneth lore has 6 unique spells I can hopefully avoid overlapping on the rule of 1. 

The main plan is to have the Outcasts and Drycha debuffing bravery and anchoring the middle of the board. Drycha will have Throne of vines and also her signature spell. The idea would be to anchor her in a Wyldwood in the centre and use one of the Wraiths to Tree-song the forest to move her to more advantageous positions. Hopefully this will force people to avoid this area of the board, especially for her double unbind. 

The Treelord Ancient and Tree Revenants will be flankers. The lord will have the Reaping Spell for the 3" d3 mortal wound bubble, as well as the artefact which increases spell range, making that bubble 9". As well as the command ability to ignore rend that doesn't exceed -2. 

Both Drycha and the Treelord Ancient will be backed up by a Branchwych for Regrowth. 

The Forest Folk battalion will be used for objective scoring and for their ability to redeploy in case of danger or to support other units. 

The Kurnoth Hunters will either be used for long range threat where they can ensure that key units will suffer catastrophically from battleshock or to support Drycha. They may also be moved forward along with the Treelord Ancient. 

Given that the only artefact I have assigned so far is on the Treelord, I have two spare. Any suggestions as to where to put them? My thoughts so far are for the Wych to gain an additional 6" of spell range in order to boost her Regrowth spell. 

I'd appreciate any advice people can give me as so far I'm only building and painting the battleline Dryads.

My initial thoughts are that you may find that you have very little combat punch, particularly if the hunters have bows. Drycha is extremely fragile, and the Treelord Ancient is resilient but has very inconsistent/weak damage output . You do have a fair bit of shooting and magic, but if you're focus is healing then you won't be hitting out with the magic missiles.

Transporting through woods is a nice idea in principle, but it becomes hard to do if your opponent is clever or can react quickly. Relying on the ancients wood creation ability is problematic as you can't create a wood and teleport In the same turn, meaning that your opponent can react to the position. This makes the Acorn and Verdent Blessings almost essential. If you don't have these a good player will position units round the woods to force you to deploy where he wants rather than giving you the advantage. 

I'd suggest that you need some hunters with scythes to really fight back.

If you can stay away from the enemy you will do well, but I'll be interested to see how it goes...

Just to be clear, Drycha won't get to cast and unbind two spells. 

Gnarlroot specifies only Treelord Ancients, Branchwyches and Branchwraiths in the Battalion gain that benefit. 

You do get to pick an extra character to have an Artefact per Battalion in your army tho you haven't listed any for your Branchnouns... Have you looked into that?

Having played a lot of games with her, I agree with Steve that Drycha is very fragile. All of her rules tempt you to play her by throwing he into the enemy army but she doesn't last long once you do. In this list I would advise casting Mystic Shield on her every turn. 

Also if you plan on putting her in the middle of the table be aware that her Flitterfuries (if you choose to take them) affect ALL units, not just enemies. 

If you're playing in Matched Play, remember you won't be able to Regrowth more than once, though Drycha could certainly do with the support.

That said, I feel that this is the strongest list based around the Outcasts that I have seen so far, you've clearly put a lot of thought in. I'd not considered using Treesong to move around models with Throne of Vines; I will certainly look to employ that as a tactic in future so thanks for that! :)

Unfortunately, there are a lot of armies out there that care very little for abilities which affect Bravery / Battleshock abilities, which is what is keeping me away from putting the Outcasts on the table.

Be careful against other lists which do this too as yours is actually very susceptible to it aha!

Anyway, good luck with the army, be sure to let us know how you get on with it.  

Aaron

I'm a fan of the Gnarlroot Wargrove, but I'm waiting to see the consensus if people will play it as each getting +1 spell or just one getting +1 spell.

Been toying a lot with a 2k wargrove list, I'm trying to get a free spirits battalion in there for the extra punch. If people decide on only one model getting +1 spell I'll probably move away from the gnarlroot though, which would be a shame. Here's the list at the moment, but I'm going through lots of lists and loving it...

Spirit of Durthu
Treelord Ancient
Branchwynch
5 Tree-Revenants
5 Tree-Revenants
20 Dryads
3 Kurnoth Hunters 
3 Kurnoth Hunters
3 Kurnoth Hunters

Household 
Free Spirits 
Gnarlroot Wargrove

- 1920 total. Could take a spite revanents for 2020. I quite like their rules actually. I feel like the magic is really going to have to pack a punch in the Gnarlroot lists, but could make for some fun and avoids just spamming Kurnoth hunters which seems to be the best option otherwise.

Just now, Nico said:

GW FB said it was one extra spell for each of the relevant wizards. This is also the natural interpretation of the wording.

Don't get me wrong, that's what I'd really want. But I'm not sure how seriously people will take the FB, and I also don't know if it's the natural interpretation. It's how I first read it, but the "only" in there is what the other people point to which is understandable. 

Thanks for the input guys this is exactly what I was looking for!

My current 2000 point list has been changed slightly to have more scoring units and more damage output. 

LEADERS

Branchwych (100)

Treelord Ancient (300)

UNITS

Sisters of the Thorn x 5 (220)

Dryads x 30 (360)

Tree-Revenants x 10 (200)

BATTALIONS

Gnarlroot Wargrove (80)

Household (20)

WOUNDS: 127 TOTAL POINTS: 2000 / 2000

I've opted for the Sisters of the Thorn for the shield of thorns spell to help keep my Treeman Ancient on his feet and some fast objective scoring models. 

If there's no cap on how many models can carry the same artefact then I would most likely give both the Treeman Ancient and the Branchwych the Silverwood Circlet. The Treeman will have The Reaping spell which will have a 9" bubble instead of 3" and the Branchwych will be able to throw a 24" regrowth. 

Half of the Kurnoth Hunters will carry bows, and the other half will be broken down into 2 units each armed with Scythes or Greatswords. 

The Dryads will be in two units of 15 to benefit from the armour save bonus and also to beef up my battleline requirements. 

The Revenants won't be enough on their own to hunt heros, but if I'm playing them correctly they'll hopefully be engaging targets already weakened by the Treelords Reaping spell to help finish them off. 

Everything is very squishy in the army, but given that my Wizards will also know the spell Verdant blessing I should be able to survive a bit of attrition. 

I could also ditch the Sisters for a Branchwraith and the Forest Folk battalion to help with relocating the Dryads. The Wraith would also benefit from the second spell cast and it would also unlock an extra artefact. 

Sounds cool. I can't wait to see all the order wizard combos people think of. A Gnarled Warrior, Briarsheathed hero with shield of thorns would be horrible to come up against with a normal unit. I guess mortal wounds get around the shield of thorns though..

That list is looking much more competitive to me, man. 

Couple more pointers; (again assuming Matched Play in use) I don't think you can split 30 Dryads into 2x15. 

The Handbook states that that would count as 2x2 Warscrolls. It's really annoying but somebody might pull you up on it so perhaps best I point it out now. 

I would advise scythes over Greatswords on the Kurnoth as the Rend -2 and Reach 2" are very powerful on them. I don't really see any situation in which you wouldn't want to use their Tanglethorn Thicket ability, so the extra reach is invaluable.  

Im interested to hear how Revenants do in 10's, I've only run a single unit of 5 so far, and they've been ineffective other than nabbing uncontested objectives. 

Aaron

Archived