2000 SC Vanguard Army

Milano

Hi Everyone,

i finished my 1000 pts Stormcast Vanguard army recently, containing a Lord Aquilor, some hunters, raptors, palladors (+birds) and a Knight-Venator.
I really did like the flexibility and overal feel in some first games. Besides that Vanguard looks awesome to me! :) So now I would like to go for the 2000 pts
SC Vanguard army. My idea was to use the synergies of Neave Blacktalon and her battalion, Knight-Azyros should support with those lovely 1-rolls, luckstone to Mr. Venatore for the lucky punch...
which will lead to a list like below. Is it viable, or a no-go?

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
Mortal Realm: Hysh

Leaders
Lord-Aquilor (200)
- General
- Trait: Staunch Defender
- Artefact: Mirrorshield
- Mount Trait: Aethereal Stalker
Neave Blacktalon (120)
Knight-Venator (120)
- Artefact: Luckstone
Knight-Azyros (100)

Battleline
10 x Vanguard-Hunters (240)
- Boltstorm Pistols and Shock Handaxes
5 x Vanguard-Hunters (120)
5 x Vanguard-Hunters (120)

Units
3 x Aetherwings (50)
6 x Vanguard-Palladors (400)
- Boltstorm Pistols and Starstrike Javelins
6 x Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows (360)

Battalions
Blacktalon's Shadowhammers (160)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 111

Edited by Milano

• 4 weeks later...

Do you need 3 units of Hunters for that battalion? you're going to want some tankier infantry in this list, which liberators would be perfect for.

You also got some extra points back with the new GHB update! From what I remember:
-20 on aquilor
-40 on 20 hunters
-20 on 6 longstrikes
-40 on palladors

this list now has an extra 130 points up from 10- I'd go with 5 liberators for 100 or maybe even 5 sequitors for 130.

Funnily enough I was looking at a vanguard expension to my blightwar set this morning! So @Milano your thread came at an opportune moment for me 😄

Looking at your list it now comes out at:

Aquilor 180
Neave Blacktalon 120
Venetor 120
Azyros 100

5x + 5x + 10x Hunters 440

6 Palladors 360
6 Raptors 340
3 Aetherwings

Blacktalon battalion 160

Couple of questions and my ideas. 
1. I don't know how it works with these special battalions. I assume it's still valid?
2. What are your stars in this list?
3. I was thinking about the Zyphyros instead of Neave because I would like to bring the sword on judgement on her as my second artefact. 7 attacks every 6 turning into d6 mortal wounds. 
4. That's why I was also looking into what could give a +1 to hit and the Blacktalon would be very good for that. 
5. What are your thoughts about the big battalion: vanguard auxiliary chamber? Lot of points but some very useful abilities. Extra shot for every thing in there, including the 3 required units of raptors that can re-roll 1's to hit. The Palladors get some extra speed which makes it a lot easier to get behind enemy lines i'm guessing. 

I'll stop there, but having just painted Neave i'm just excited about actually playing them ;)

4 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Funnily enough I was looking at a vanguard expension to my blightwar set this morning! So @Milano your thread came at an opportune moment for me 😄

Looking at your list it now comes out at:

Aquilor 180
Neave Blacktalon 120
Venetor 120
Azyros 100

5x + 5x + 10x Hunters 440

6 Palladors 360
6 Raptors 340
3 Aetherwings

Blacktalon battalion 160

Couple of questions and my ideas. 
1. I don't know how it works with these special battalions. I assume it's still valid?
2. What are your stars in this list?
3. I was thinking about the Zyphyros instead of Neave because I would like to bring the sword on judgement on her as my second artefact. 7 attacks every 6 turning into d6 mortal wounds. 
4. That's why I was also looking into what could give a +1 to hit and the Blacktalon would be very good for that. 
5. What are your thoughts about the big battalion: vanguard auxiliary chamber? Lot of points but some very useful abilities. Extra shot for every thing in there, including the 3 required units of raptors that can re-roll 1's to hit. The Palladors get some extra speed which makes it a lot easier to get behind enemy lines i'm guessing. 

I'll stop there, but having just painted Neave i'm just excited about actually playing them ;)

I don't recommend the bigh vanguard auxiliary chamber. Indeed after the points change, you can fit that big battalion into a 2000 list, but you only use 3 units of raptor with hurricane crossbow, which benefits little from the extra attack since it already have 9 attacks each model. If we can fit in the longstrike version, that's another story. By the way, that list will be very fragile, 2000 list with 40-50 w in total.

8 minutes ago, HammerOfSigmar said:

I don't recommend the bigh vanguard auxiliary chamber. Indeed after the points change, you can fit that big battalion into a 2000 list, but you only use 3 units of raptor with hurricane crossbow, which benefits little from the extra attack since it already have 9 attacks each model. If we can fit in the longstrike version, that's another story. By the way, that list will be very fragile, 2000 list with 40-50 w in total.

It just says vanguard raptors so both should be an option. But yeah it’s a very short list. Which helps a project hopper like me, but I agree maybe to fragile to actually play. 

3 minutes ago, Kramer said:

It just says vanguard raptors so both should be an option. But yeah it’s a very short list. Which helps a project hopper like me, but I agree maybe to fragile to actually play. 

I mean you can write a 1980 point list with that big battalion, but you have to use the hurricane version. It is valid to use the longstrike version, but there won't be enough points to do so, assuming you are writing a 2000 list.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, HammerOfSigmar said:

I mean you can write a 1980 point list with that big battalion, but you have to use the hurricane version. It is valid to use the longstrike version, but there won't be enough points to do so, assuming you are writing a 2000 list.

No your right just did the math it isn’t happening with longstrikes at 2K. That’s a shame. So I might just shamelessly take a page out of your book and try the blacktalon battalion when I get around to it. 

Guys thanks for the comments! Much appreciated.
@CommissarRotke Yep im not quite sure how the hunters will last with some more serious cavalery hitting them hard, like Morsarr Guard or some deadly heroes. Until now my local gamestore has only casual player, so on that level they did pretty well. Nevertheless I will consider some Sequitors for the next game.

@Kramer Glad to gave you a kick-start :) The battalion is still in the warhammer app, its also selectable in the warscroll builder with the new GHB 2019.  Seems legit. I guess thats enough to convince me and some guys I play with. I even tested a 1250point list with neave, to give the battalion a first start and the Palladors were the STARS of the battle. With +1 Hit on Charge (shadowhammer), reroll 1s on hit (stormhost CV),  they literally exploded into a group of liberators. No lib survived to tell the story :) But also Neave riding the aetheric winds and pushing everyone with 6" is real gem. Good Idea with the Zephyros - SoJ combo, but unfortunately the battalio insists on Neave. But very worthy for an 1k list I guess. The big battalion is my dream since I first saw it :D the narrative style of a full vanguard army is just awesome. 2k list on the point, with 101 wounds, the downside is the use of the hurrican crossbows ...such a pity :( Still definately worth a try.  Besides the boni you mentioned, 1 singled drop (choose the 1st turn)!!, 3 extra CP and artefacts for the 3 battalions...hm definately worth a try.

I added a picture of my 1k list.. Neave is missing, finished the paint job two days ago :)

img_0646.jpg

Edited by Milano
Added picture
  • Like 7
  • LOVE IT! 1

I really do like the Vanguard Chamber...I wish there was more play between it and Sacrosanct!! Good to know this list was doable, just got some longstrikes to go with my Soul Wars :)

Actually looking at this again, you probably want to fit an Incantor in there so you can unbind enemy spells, which would be a big issue outside casual I think

Edited by CommissarRotke
addition

I'm a big fan of the Vanguard Chamber. They look awsome! Great to see, that there are other Liste beside the Sacrosanct (they are great too) out there.
I'm testing a 1k Vanguard List, too. My only real issue with them is, that the Hunters are no Redeemers. I've painted my whole army in the Hammers of Sigmar colours, have the shoulder pads. So, they are Hammers of Sigmar, but can't realy use the "Soul of the Stormhost". So, my goal is to make a Hammers of Sigmar list with the Vanguard, but I feel, that I've already lost this fight... 😅