Army Terrain Setup Order

Vextol

Question

I fully expect this to be somewhere but I can't seem to quickly find it.

When two armies get to setup terrain pieces, who sets up first?

Specific example: Idoneth and Sylvaneth.

Can be important because Idoneth in this example could essentially protect two different objectives with their terrain to stop sylvaneth players from dropping their initial woods on them.

Thanks!

Edited by Vextol

4 answers to this question

In newer battletomes, it is stated in the allegiance ability rules that describe how to set up your terrain.  From the Skaventide tome:

If both players can setup any terrain features before armies are set up, they must roll off, and the winner chooses who sets up their terrain features first.

• Thanks 2

It first depends on when you set up your terrain. Idoneth’s Gloomtide  is before you choose sides  but after objectives are placed. While Gloomspite Gits Shrine is after choosing side but before setup.

If they take place at the same time then you roll off and decide who places their terrain first.

3 hours ago, King Taloren said:

It first depends on when you set up your terrain. Idoneth’s Gloomtide  is before you choose sides  but after objectives are placed. While Gloomspite Gits Shrine is after choosing side but before setup.

If they take place at the same time then you roll off and decide who places their terrain first.

I figured there would be some that happened at different points which were easily discernable.  I was mostly talking about your second point, the ones that aren't clear.

So, is this just accepted because of the overarching and unspoken "If it's not spelled out, roll for it" rule or is this somewhere real?

1 hour ago, Vextol said:

I figured there would be some that happened at different points which were easily discernable.  I was mostly talking about your second point, the ones that aren't clear.

So, is this just accepted because of the overarching and unspoken "If it's not spelled out, roll for it" rule or is this somewhere real?

It’s written out in the core rules FAQ or somewhere. @Isotop probably can find it faster than I can cause I’ve seen him answer about it before somewhere in this forum. I recall the wording is:

When both players are setting up terrain features at the same time both players roll a dice and the winner then places their terrain feature first.