Low Model Count Competitive Armies

Draakur

1 minute ago, Riavan said:

They have a new start collecting set too. Rotbringers of nurgle.

Is this a force that might be considered potentially competitive, would you say?

Sorry for all the questions, trying to play a lot of catchup here and just wanting to get a good read on what forces I should reastically be considering here, and which I like but won’t really cover all the bases Id like to have covered.

1 hour ago, Draakur said:

Is this a force that might be considered potentially competitive, would you say?

Sorry for all the questions, trying to play a lot of catchup here and just wanting to get a good read on what forces I should reastically be considering here, and which I like but won’t really cover all the bases Id like to have covered.

Come check out or ask on the maggotkin post in the chaos alliegence section.

But yes. They are strong, blightkings themselves are one of the best battleline units atm. At an actual tourment, trying to win, you would probably want some soup as well. 

Best thing about nurgle is we have a huge amount of army and troop choices. We have nurgle demons, nurgle rotbringers, slaves to darkness and clan pestilins (skaven). Maybe soon we will have darkoath too.

1 minute ago, Riavan said:

Come check out or ask on the maggotkin post in the chaos alliegence section.

But yes. They are strong, blightkings themselves are one of the best battleline units atm. At an actual tourment, trying to win, you would probably want some soup as well. 

Yep ok, got it. That’s good info and is beginning to answer what I’m basically trying to understand. Ill definitely drop in and see what I can find, ask questions etc. Thanks so much for the help mate! 

I’m wanting to have both an army I really like the lore and models for, and also that can be genuinely competitive at high levels. That may sound greedy or unreasonable to some, but I figure if I’m going to invest one of my most precious resources, time, into this whole thing, and also probably spend a lot of money over the long term, then I owe it to myself to do my research, and try my absolute best to get exactly what I want from this hobby.

13 minutes ago, Draakur said:

Yep ok, got it. That’s good info and is beginning to answer what I’m basically trying to understand. Ill definitely drop in and see what I can find, ask questions etc. Thanks so much for the help mate! 

I’m wanting to have both an army I really like the lore and models for, and also that can be genuinely competitive at high levels. That may sound greedy or unreasonable to some, but I figure if I’m going to invest one of my most precious resources, time, into this whole thing, and also probably spend a lot of money over the long term, then I owe it to myself to do my research, and try my absolute best to get exactly what I want from this hobby.

For sure. Nurgle would be a top tier competitive army I think (but you will probably want soup too). From what I see from tournaments. But others will be able to tell you more.

Honestly Nurgle isn't really a good choice for top tier competitive play at the moment. If you like the army and just want to do okay at tournaments I'd say they're fine. Also, depending on how the meta shifts (Nurgle does well against shooting) and the GHB goes (a lot of units are good warscroll wise but just too overcosted most notably the Pusgoyle Blightlords) I could see Nurgle making a come back. But right now Nurgle suffers from a horrible match up with Nagash and generally weak spellcasting (good spells but most require a 7 and you have almost no bonuses to spellcasting). Nurgle also struggles with having a good hammer. Putrid Blightkings are good but inconsistent and easily shut down by -1hit. Plague Drones can be good but require stacking buffs (with +2 attacks they are great, good at +1, and meh at their regular) and are still probably slightly overcosted.

6 minutes ago, Forrix said:

Honestly Nurgle isn't really a good choice for top tier competitive play at the moment. If you like the army and just want to do okay at tournaments I'd say they're fine. Also, depending on how the meta shifts (Nurgle does well against shooting) and the GHB goes (a lot of units are good warscroll wise but just too overcosted most notably the Pusgoyle Blightlords) I could see Nurgle making a come back. But right now Nurgle suffers from a horrible match up with Nagash and generally weak spellcasting (good spells but most require a 7 and you have almost no bonuses to spellcasting). Nurgle also struggles with having a good hammer. Putrid Blightkings are good but inconsistent and easily shut down by -1hit. Plague Drones can be good but require stacking buffs (with +2 attacks they are great, good at +1, and meh at their regular) and are still probably slightly overcosted.

Ahh, see now this is the sort of detail I’m hoping to get more of. Thanks for this. In my searches since last night I’ve certainly not been finding much Nurgle taking top 3 slots in many tournaments. Possibly not a strong contender then at this stage, for the army I want. Though it sounds like GHB changes are potentially huge, like when they’ve released them in the past they’ve made a big difference to some forces’ potential and potency, do I have that right? Waiting the few months or whatever it is for that release seems like it might be the wisest choice available to me right now...

Totally, I didnt mean they were legions of nagash level (which will probably get smashed with nerfs in 2 months with the new GHB), just that they are up there tier wise.

Nurgle has a pretty crazy hammer with blades and blobs of marauders or rats. But you are right, that the spell casting rolls required are pretty high atm.

What I am really hoping for is some points drops for certain things, like the maggoth lords, demon princes, beasts and heralds.

Archived