Massive Impaling Talon

BaldoBeardo

Question

Hi all, regarding Sylvaneth treeman types; (I'm intending to be a Sylvaneth player)

4e9ee0b51410cb147bdc67ebb10c04b7.jpg

60c6b55715a9f95e170f5045290dbe17.jpg

Attacks are assigned and dealt with against units, not models. Once all attacks concluded, damage is applied to model/s. So to my reading of the above;

Treeman attacks unit. For the sake of argument, let's say target unit consists of W5 models.

Causes 9 wounds, including wound from MIT.

Opponent gets to apply wounds as they see fit.

Options;

1)

They decide to apply the wound from the MIT first, reducing one model to W4.

Impale triggers, with a target score of 5+. Roll fails, so remaining 8 wounds applied to unit, so kills one enemy and reduces another to W1

2) MIT wound applied last, meaning one model already dead, and a target roll of 2+ for Impale to kill another.

3) Applies MIT wound mid-cycle, meaning possible for target unit to lose two models and wound a third.

All these scenarios are legal and RAI as far as I can see, so I don't think you can argue that it's unfair that opponent has control of effectiveness of Impale.

Have I missed something, or is this how people have been playing it?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

5 answers to this question

I treat the attacks of one unit as all being simultaneous (this is because of the rule that you don't remove casualties until after all the unit's attacks have been done). Hence, I would apply the special rule you refer to above after allocating all of the damage. Hence you would kill one model, and leave another on 1 wound remaining. You would then need to roll a 2+ to get the autokill.

In a similar vein, Archaon gets a heal (etc.) if his heads kill any models. Applying the simultaneous attacks principle, I take it that if the heads cause any wounds which contribute to one or more models dying, then he gets the heal.

It would be a waste of time having the player roll attacks individually to ensure that the killing blow comes from the heads. This does mean that you should often do the heads first (just in case you autokill with Slayer of Kings immediately afterwards).

I treat the attacks of one unit as all being simultaneous (this is because of the rule that you don't remove casualties until after all the unit's attacks have been done). Hence, I would apply the special rule you refer to above after allocating all of the damage. Hence you would kill one model, and leave another on 1 wound remaining. You would then need to roll a 2+ to get the autokill.

In a similar vein, Archaon gets a heal (etc.) if his heads kill any models. Applying the simultaneous attacks principle, I take it that if the heads cause any wounds which contribute to one or more models dying, then he gets the heal.

It would be a waste of time having the player roll attacks individually to ensure that the killing blow comes from the heads. This does mean that you should often do the heads first (just in case you autokill with Slayer of Kings immediately afterwards).

That sounds reasonable, only reason I discounted it was "Inflicting Damage" makes it seem like you do it one by one - but thinking about it this method means you don't have to create the step of treating wounds separately. Gordian knot, and all that.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Archived