How can a model be within range of a marker/terrain?

Isotop

Question

Hi folks - I hope the title is not too clickbaity. To be abolutely clear from the beginning: I do not want you to change the way you play, neither do I want to do so myself. The following subject is more of an (hopefully interesting) observation regarding the very core of the rules. This topic is about measurement and how the rules for it are possibly flawed. Lets see what the core rules have to say about Measuring Distances:

"Distances in Warhammer Age of Sigmar are measured in inches ("), between the closest points of the bases of the models you’re measuring to and from. If a model does not have a base, measure to and from the closest point of that model instead [...]"

(https://ageofsigmar.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/12/2018/06/AoS_Rules-ENG.pdf, page 1)

So, this teaches us between what kind of entities we can measure distances and how it works. The rules tells us how we measure between models specifically. At this point I am allready pretty sure that we are simply not instructed how we have to measure distances between non-models (for example Gravesites or "points on the battlefield" that you have to choose as part of some spells). I know this sounds a little bit stupid since those things are (mostly) single points - so the obvious answer is: Just measure to the goddam point. I do so during my games and, as said in the introduction, will keep doing it this way - but RAW there is no rule (as far as I know) that tells us to do so.

While the point about markers and other obvious non-model entities should be clear, I was not so sure about terrain. I thought: Surely terrain pieces are models, right? After a little bit of research I wanted to say "yes and no". Some terrain pieces are definnitely models, for example a Gloomtide Shipwreck. The reason for this is the information given by the Shipwreck´s warscroll: 

"A Gloomtide Shipwreck is a terrain feature consisting of 1 Shipwreck scenery model [...]"

(https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/Downloads//ENG_Gloomtide_Shipwreck.pdf)

But what about a simple hill or rock found on most of our gaming tables? If we have to measure the distance between a generic piece of terrain and a model (for example because of a Knight Heraldor hooting the ****** out of it) the terrain has to be a model in order for us to know how to measure. At first I thought that terrain pieces would not be classified as models - since every model in AoS has a warscroll (Core Rules page 1 under Warscrolls). Then I found the follwing clarification on the very next page:

"The scenery found on a battlefield is represented by models from the Warhammer Age of Sigmar range. These models are called terrain features to differentiate them from the models that make up an army [...]"

(https://ageofsigmar.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/12/2018/06/AoS_Rules-ENG.pdf, page 2 under The Battlefield)

Weirdly enough this sounds to me like only GW terrain is allowed for AoS games - but I guess we all can agree on each piece of terrain (self build or "Warhammer Age of Sigmar range") being a model. So, measurements to and from terrain pieces are indeed gucci.

That is pretty much it with the topic. To remind everyone: I am not telling you that your Gravesites and Ripperdactyl Riders´ Blot Toads are useless becaue you are not allowed to measure to and from them. I just wanted to share the insight about this technically missing link in the rules about measurement. I would be glad if some of you could tell me how they like this kind of examination of the core rule´s fundamental framework . Do you find it interesting or just plain stupid? 

Cheers.

"

1 answer to this question

14 minutes ago, Isotop said:

That is pretty much it with the topic. To remind everyone: I am not telling you that your Gravesites and Ripperdactyl Riders´ Blot Toads are useless becaue you are not allowed to measure to and from them. I just wanted to share the insight about this technically missing link in the rules about measurement. I would be glad if some of you could tell me how they like this kind of examination of the core rule´s fundamental framework . Do you find it interesting or just plain stupid? 

Cheers.

"

I mean as a LoN player, the rules for the gravesites is pretty clear that the marker represents a 1mm point, so measuring would happen from the center of the marker as that would be said 1mm point. Then measurements from that point would be to the nearest point of a unit models base. It may not follow the core rules "model to model" measuring, but the rule itself is clear on how you should go about measuring it because it is an exception to normal measuring rules. I understand your examination of the rules, but also feel that because they specify how you should measure in this rules instance makes it an exception not bound by the core rules. Interesting point to bring up though.

As for terrain, saying non gw terrain doesn't count as models is an absurd interpretation that i doubt even the most devout of RAW followers would do. Any terrain piece put on the table would simply be counted as a non-unit baseless model for the means of measurement.

Cheers.

Archived