Guardians of Alarielle

BDJames

I'm intrigued about building a Guardians of Alarielle 2000pt force, mostly because I like the idea of model diversity for looks, and a display board I'm imagining.  Plus, it gives me permission to work on two armies at once, and feed my gaming ADD.  By my read of the rules, and what GW has said on the Facebook page, even though this is a mixed Sylvaneth/Stormcast force, because the battalion is Sylvaneth, I would still be able to use all the cool stuff from the Sylvaneth book (like special abilities, spells, etc) reserved for pure Sylvaneth forces, yes?

I'm wondering how people would build up this force to 2000 pts?  Between the Liberators and the Dyrads, I see a lot of staying power, but not a lot of punch.  Do I add in some Kurnoth Hunters with scythes?  Do I add a Durthu?  What would people do?

Hey

firstly yes you are correct that your army will still count as Sylvaneth Allegience despite the Battalion containing SCE models. 

I think what this army does is resilience. And as you said; it is lacking in the damage output aspect.

with that in mind, I intend to build the following list;

Guardians of Alarielle 120

Treelord Ancient 300
Treelord Ancient 300
Lady of the Vines (Branchwraith) 100
Lorrus Grymn (Lord Castellant) 100

5 Judicators (Bows)160
2x 5 Liberators (Shields) 200
30 Dryads 360
6 Kurnoth Hunters (Scythes)360

The liberators have a 3+ base save, 2+ with lantern or cover, rerolling 1's with shields. Seems solid to me! 

So one option is to have a defensive unit and an assault unit of liberators. EG give one set additional weapons and lose the shields, and to use the lantern on that unit every turn, or alternatively use the lantern on the Judicators and park all three units in cover for 2+ saves, the Liberators rerolling 1's.

Dryads are also pretty resilient, capable of being 3+ saves and -1 to hit them if they are in a wildwood. My list only has 30, which is slightly annoying as the batallion requires 2 units and therefore only one of them will be above 12 models for the +1 save. 

The treelord ancients and Kurnoth hunters are the power in the list. 

I think giving one Briarsheath and  making him your general, and casting mystic shield on him every turn, he is always -1 to hit and potentially -2 in combat, as well as 2+ save (with his command ability he and the dryads will all reroll 1's too). 

The other ancient will also get an artefact due to the formation and I'd give him Oaken Armour so he also has 2+ save rerolling 1's while within 10" of the general. 

I think one Treelord and the lady of the vines would know the wildwood summoning spell to provide all the cover for the army as well as movement tricks. The other Treelord would know regrowth to increase survivability further.

The he final element is the Kurnoth hunters. They are the real damage dealers and want to make use of the Wildwoods to get stuck into the enemy, already being pretty resilient themselves, especially while in cover and benefitting from their rerolls. 

Aaron 

The other obvious option is to go for Vexillor plus the Paladins of your choice. You might want to delay throwing the Paladins in until your enemy has bounced off your anvil of Liberators.

Oh wait - you would lose Sylvaneth allegiance that way. Derp.

Ok then i suppose Durthu or Alarielle (if she squeezes in) or Hunters.

Just now, Nico said:

The other obvious option is to go for Vexillor plus the Paladins of your choice. You might want to delay throwing the Paladins in until your enemy has bounced off your anvil of Liberators.

I'm coming at this from a Sylvaneth perspective, and unfortunately you won't get Sylvaneth Allegience if you take SCE units other than those listed in the battalion.

Aaron

With paying for the cost of the formation, which is 120, this clocks in right at 2000.  I think the Kurnoth Hunters could run with the Treelord and make a pretty strong hammer.  Not sure either the Liberators or the Dryads are at numbers that make them very much of an anvil, however.  I could, of course, reduce the Judicators down to 5, and boost either a Liberator or a Dryad unit to 10/20 respectively.

HEROES

Branchwraith (100)

Lord Castellant (100)

UNITS
Dryads x 10 (120)
Dryads x 10 (120)

Kurnoth Hunters x 3 (180)

Liberators x 5 (100)

Liberators x 5 (100) 

Judicators x 10 (320)

MONSTERS
Treelord (260)

Treelord Ancient (300) 

47 minutes ago, BDJames said:

With paying for the cost of the formation, which is 120, this clocks in right at 2000.  I think the Kurnoth Hunters could run with the Treelord and make a pretty strong hammer.  Not sure either the Liberators or the Dryads are at numbers that make them very much of an anvil, however.  I could, of course, reduce the Judicators down to 5, and boost either a Liberator or a Dryad unit to 10/20 respectively.

HEROES

Branchwraith (100)

Lord Castellant (100)

UNITS
Dryads x 10 (120)
Dryads x 10 (120)

Liberators x 5 (100)

Liberators x 5 (100) 

Judicators x 10 (320)

MONSTERS
Treelord (260)

Treelord Ancient (300) 

If you do drop the Judicators for Dryads you can afford to bump the Treelord up to an Ancient and then you have my list aha

On ‎04‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 2:02 PM, Forestreveries said:

Treelord Ancient 300
Treelord Ancient 300

5 Judicators (Bows)160
2x 5 Liberators (Shields) 200
30 Dryads 360
6 Kurnoth Hunters (Scythes)360

I like this! Will look super cool and the theme is awesome.

On paper looks pretty solid as well!

I have two boxes of sealed Libs I can probably sell you if I end up shifting my SCE.

Looking forward to smashing it off with Krunk and da boyz! ;) 

• 3 months later...
Hello,
Do you have any feedback about your 2K GUARDIANS OF ALARIELLE army list?
Has somebody tried to play Guardians of allariele in matched play? Any advice, comments or feedback?
Thanks

I've played it a couple of times, it's solid, just no spectacular damage output.

Think it is viable in matched play if you are very good at keeping your eye on the mission rather than killing stuff.

Your units are resilient enough, (for the most part having a 2+ save with cover) that you should be able to tank most enemies attacks and with the right target prioritisation (anything that does mortal wounds or rend -2 or more) and positioning (again keep your eye on the battleplan) this list could compete.

The force has a lot less manoeuvrability than a standalone SCE or Sylvaneth army as well, so important to get deployment right and plan a few turns ahead.

Aaron

Sent from the Hidden Enclaves via the Realmroots

I have used the following against a Deathlord army.

Treelord Ancient 300
Treelord Ancient 300
20 Dryads 240
20 Dryads 240

10 Judicators (Bows) 320
5 Liberators (Shields) 100
10 Liberators (Shields) 200

There were a few Wyldwoods on the board so I was a bit lucky being able to scoot the Dryads and Treelords around the board picking off his units. The Stormcasts took a bit of damage from the Wyldwoods as well, which was due to my own stupidity.

The Dryads were able to hold off his Morghast units with a lot of luck.

It did take the Liberators 3 turns to engage anything but they were able to hold up Arkhan once they got hold of him, then a Treelord Ancient was able to finish him off.

Lady of the Vines was magiked to death pretty quickly. :(

The outcome of the whole battle hinged on a slug fest between a Treelord Ancient and Arkhan with a lucky 10 wound hit from Sweeping Blows.

The other ancient will also get an artefact due to the formation and I'd give him Oaken Armour so he also has 2+ save rerolling 1's while within 10" of the general. 

Also within range of the Hunters.. so no need to keep them together.. one can go hunting with the hunters.

Archived