Miniature Basing Experimentation w/ Poor Man's Stirland Battlemire

I've been experimenting in an attempt to get a nice looking "swamp base" and I guess you guys might like the results.

xH1Exgp.jpg

Superglue + Bicarbonate of Soda - 1 Layer

Nicely textured surface and quite flat to the base.

GDSis5t.jpg

Superglue + Sand - 1 Layer

Much better than PVA + Sand IMO. I've used that method in the past and this gives a much better grip and a more textured surface.

R921x38.jpg

Superglue + Bicarbonate of Soda - Multiple Layers

Most of the texture gets lost when multiple layers are used, but it gives a nice depth. The superglue tends to stay within the bounds of the already applied stuff as long as you don't drown the base.

6PKCBUW.jpg

Superglue + Bicarbonate of Soda - 1 Layer THEN Superglue + Sand - 1 Layer

Not great. Certainly has some level of texture to it, but the sand has ended up weirdly placed on the base. Possibly useful for some of rocky shore?

KcqYEH3.jpg

Superglue + Sand - 1 Layer THEN Superglue + Bicarbonate of Soda - 1 Layer

The best result so far. My "poor man's Stirland Battlemire". It's got a really good texture to it.

This one is actually a few layers of the superglue + bicarbonate of soda underneath, but that doesn't seem to make a difference to how it looks.

I hope some of this helps people!

The last image looks great - very muddy. :)

But doesn't baking soda rot/leak after a while? I know that it yellows over time, hence it's not as great for snow as expected at first but will the paint prevent it from rotting? I've heard reports that some guys minis got ruined by it after a year or two...

Try spackle, it works great.  Mix PVA, spackle, a little sand (different texture depending how gritty you want it), and some paint (cheap craft store).  I based a friends Steel Legion, plus my Warmachine Retribution, like this and it looks great.

The paint will turn a lighter shade because of the White spackle, so be careful.  You can always paint over or use a shade to add depth.

Check out Luke's APS on YouTube. He shows you how to replicate lots of citadel paint products for cheap.

A good stitland mud / astrogranite / etc is  equal parts paint, sand, and wall spackle.  I use it all the time. Try adding water for different consistencies. 

Archived