Chimera: Worth it?

Blackspine

Hello all,

Recently, I wanted to break out the Chimera, but am hesitant.

• The big con is : Hitting on 4+ for almost every attack.
  • Second con: Degrades quickly; then stabilizes. (Degrading fast after 2 wounds) 

That's not horrible, but for the price of the monster, it seems dicey (no pun intended)

PROS:

• lots of attacks. 
  • low to high rend (-3 before 2 wounds)
  • fast: Flight does not degrade. 
  • +2 to charge. pretty solid. 

Ideally, this guy is to launch out behind enemy lines when the battle is engaged, and just put pressure on casters/ objective holding units (ie, second rate) and just do his own thing in own time.

Thoughts?
Experiences?

For its points the Chimera is awesome. Especially in a beasts army as it fills a role that that is one of Beast's weaknesses. While the shooting attack does degrade quickly it is one off your only reliable sources of mortal wounds to target enemy heroes. This makes it incredibly valuable when an opponent's power is built around bonuses from heroes. 

Furthermore, yeah, 4+ isn't great but since you have so many of them the median damage output from a Chimera is still really good for its pts cost. Personally, I think it is easily the most powerful behemoth in the Beasts book and I wouldn't be surprised to see 4 Chimera lists on top tables sometime this year.

Archived