Team Event rules pack discussion.

Ben

Hi everyone, 

I wanted to have a discussion around rules packs for team events.  

When I wrote the 6 Nations pack I thought that no duplicate war scrolls was quite an elegant solution, it forced diversity while sill allowing some duplicates in the case of limited player availability (not all gaming groups have access to all factions). Smart teams could even bring power factions with clever use of scrolls (Caludron Guard and Slaughter Troupe DoK for by Team France at the recent GW event for example) 

I believe @Marc Wilson has pushed this further with Blood Tithe, and now the ETC rulespack is up for discussion too.  

What would you like to see in a team event rules pack, what makes it good/bad.  

I will be using these ideas in the rules pack for the Bad Dice Team championship this summer! 

I've heard talk about the ETC doing a system linked to Hidden agendas.  Playing them open and playing 2 per player.  

You would get 16 points for a major victory and 1 point for each Hidden Agenda Scored, and opponents stopped.  

I love this! I'd even consider using Major back to 14 and finding 2 more points to fill with things other than the straight up battle plan 

Hey Ben, here's a modified ETC system with the extra 2 points you wanted adding in. I debated about KP metric for a while as it may encourage certain types of play that are less than ideal. but i think only using it for 2 points out of a possible 20 won't make that much of a difference, whilst still adding a bit more Granularity into the system. KP's are also something that you can "Push or Hold" for at the last minute, i believe that's what the AOS side of team events lacks at the moment, as it just feels like singles games added together. 

If playing a 6 round event, with 6 person teams, this pack allows all 18 scenarios to be "in play" throughout the event, and the GW secondaries also divide perfectly into a 6 person team!

Lists

• No Duplicate Warscrolls
  • No Duplicate Allegiances
  • Only one army per team can be "from" each realm - So if an army takes Aetherquartz Brooch, no other armies can be from Hysh (Light?)

Games

3 scenarios per round, so one pairings round per scenario. 2 (Offical GW) secondaries per player, not hidden.

Realms and realmscapes involved, maybe not spells (or maybe 1 spell per game).

Scoring

Pseudo 20-0 system as follows

• Major win = 14
  • Minor win = 12
  • Draw = 10
  • Major Loss - 6
  • Minor Loss - 8
  • Secondary completed = 1 (x2 available)
  • Secondary prevented = 1 (x2 available)
  • Did you kill 1,000+ KPs = 1
  • Did you lose less than 1,000 KPs = 1

When you do the pairings could teams have a choice to select the player or the scenario? 

For example team B puts down an army. Team A puts down 2 armies and 2 scenarios. Team B can select either the army to play against or the scenario. Team A then selects the army or scenario to complete the match up. 

I think that makes sense...

There's a link to the Blood Tithe pack here https://www.dropbox.com/s/c7hp4od5rbvwxhm/Blood_Tithe_2019_v1.1.docx?dl=0

The goal was to produce a setting in which all members of a team could feel they can contribute, whilst the elimination of kill points ensures punitive play is kept to a minimum.  I wanted to reduce duplication without dictating hobby so this was my criteria

'Only Warscrolls with a points profile in The Generals Handbook 2018 current Battletomes up to and inc Feb 16th 2019, Season of War: Firestorm, or units with a Forgeworld points value are valid. Compendium Warscrolls will not be used. Each player must play their own list for all games. 
No two armies on the same team may have a duplicate warscroll, nor a duplicate allegiance, nor any duplicate artefacts. This includes Endless Spells. Summoned units are not subject to duplication restrictions.'

I think capping is crucial to team events and my scoring is as follows:

Major Win:  30  
Minor Win:  20
Draw:            15
Minor Loss:  10
Major Loss:   5
Secret Mission 5 (per mission)

Individual player points will be capped at 30 points per round.
Total team points per round will be capped at 100/50.

Secret Missions - a precursor to GW Secondaries were very popular. 4 between each team per round, with each player being able to use between 0-2. This meant frequently that the player with the worst draw had maybe 1 or even 2 shots at redemption and contribution to a teams score. I have to add that I think my Secret Missions are better and more suited to team play than GWs own, as they don't depend so much on doing well in the battleplan. I feel GWs reward the winner (anyway) as most are 'end of game'. I tried to formulate mine in a way that they are achievable in early turns and so give an alternative objective to the wielders.

Secret Mission 1: Incalculable numbers
Destroy any three enemy Battleline units.

Secret Mission 2: Precision Strike
Destroy the enemy General and / or two enemy Leader warscrolls by the end of battleround two.

Secret Mission 3: Bring down the beast
Destroy an enemy Behemoth with a Battleline unit in the Combat Phase.

Secret Mission 4: Sustained Attack
Destroy any two enemy units during your own turn – either by killing them or causing them to flee to battleshock. You must reveal this card in the turn in which you attempt it, at the beginning of the hero phase, before any other actions are taken.

I chose 5 Batteplans which I thought would encourage the most diverse armies, and also those that promote Minor Wins, and avoid random scoring.

Game 1 : Focal Points (GHB2018)
Game 2 : Total Commitment (GHB2018)
Game 3 : Take and Hold (Core Rulebook) Gift from the Heavens
Game 4 : Places of Arcane Power (GHB2018)
Game 5 : Blood and Glory (Core Rulebook)

Overall this pack was very popular last year with no suggestions for revision - so I didn't!

Archived