First (in AoS 2) 1K Nighthaunt list. Opinions?

Maxo Bug

Hey, guys!

I used to play Nighthaunt in AoS 1, and liked Vanguard the most. My 1000pts list consisted, of course, of a Tormented Spirits box (sadly, no longer available on GW site): Hexwraiths, Spirit Hosts, and a Cairn Wraith; plus a Banshee, another Cairn Wraith and a Mourngul. 

With AoS 2, I sold the Mourngul and fitted some new heroes that I liked and seemed useful or fun, and the units I got in Storm Strike. This is my list, so far:

Leaders
Reikenor the Grimhailer (180)
- Lore of the Underworlds: Lifestealer
Spirit Torment (120)
- General
- Trait: Ruler of the Spirit Hosts 
Tomb Banshee (80) (or Cairn Wraith)
- Artefact: Midnight Tome 
Lord Executioner (80) (or Cairn Wraith)

Battleline
5 x Hexwraiths (160)
6 x Spirit Hosts (240)

Units
4 x Glaivewraith Stalkers (60)
4 x Myrmourn Banshees (80)

Total: 1000 / 1000

I haven't bought the 3 extra Spirit Hosts, so maybe I can fit something else. I wouldn't like to drastically change the list, nor do I like chainrasps that much (yet); I kinda like the idea of an "elite" Death army.
What do you think of the list? What's your opinion on it's strengths and weaknesses?

Thanks!

List looks fine, but I personally don't get comfortable with that few wounds, some armies  at 1000 pts can wipe them easily.

I would get more bodies, maybe upping/removing myrmourn and/or banshees and getting somewhere some 20 chainrasp/grimghast blob, possibly removing 1  hero and hexwraiths.

Of all the things I thought was going to be advised of removing, the Myrmourns were never there, at least for their unbinding power, at worst.

I was expecting the Stalkers, for example.

Aren't elite armies not viable anymore to depend on hordes?

Here's my hot take on your list, but I think it'd be helpful to know what your personal goals are.  Are you hyper competitive? Just looking to throw some dice and play with your buddies over beers at home? Somewhere in between?

• I think your hero choices are great! I love Reikenor and the Spirit Torment.  Personally, I'd switch the Tomb Banshee for a Cairn Wraith since they're cheap and dish out a ton of damage.  Also see if you can grab a Guardian of Souls locally or on eBay, they're amazing!
  • The big issue that pops out to me with this list is it lacks offensive punch.  Hexwraiths and Spirit Hosts can be tanky, especially with Ruler of the Spirit Hosts, but they lack offensive capability.  So while you might have a good anvil, there's no strong hammer.
  • Similarly, I think Glaivewraiths are very poor when compared to Grimghast Reapers, Bladegheist Revenants, or even Dreadscythe Harridans.  Personally I wouldn't leave home without at least a 20 man unit of Grimghasts at 1000 points, they're one of the strongest units in the game and they can lawn mower a lot of units, especially the hordes that are popular in the current meta. 
  • I think the only real "elite" Nighthaunt unit is the Spirit Hosts, but again they don't do very much damage and are better suited to holding objectives and trying to win an attrition game.  At the end of the day, like most Death armies, Nighthaunt leans towards being more horde-y.
  • I'm not sure what sort of opponents you're going to be going up against, but if your local meta is similar to the competitive meta, I think you'll find both flavors of Banshee will under-perform, since most armies have such high Bravery (though Gloomspite just came in and they have awful Bravery).  

I think if I had a better idea of your goals I could give some input on what a list would look like!

Thank you for your post!

I see your point, I guessed I am too used to the AoS 1 Nighthaunt army. I thought with my Mortal Wound output I could manage to be offensive enough.

3 hours ago, relic456 said:

So while you might have a good anvil, there's no strong hammer.

I liked this. Concise and clear.

I think if I had a better idea of your goals I could give some input on what a list would look like!

Yeah, forgot to mention that. No tournaments here, my local scene is just starting. So, at least for now, is just to have fun, as it always should be IMHO, or at least a big part of it. Of course I wanna win and /or make it complicated enough for my opponent to win: at the end of the day, that makes the most fun games!

Also see if you can grab a Guardian of Souls locally or on eBay, they're amazing!

I used to have one and trade it for the Spirit Torment, which makes a better combo with Spirit Hosts, IMHO. Still have a custom one though, may try him.

Reapers I like. Will take that into consideration, as you two said... still... 20? 

both flavors of Banshee will under-perform, since most armies have such high Bravery

This I didn't understand: Myrmourns are not affected by bravery. They just eat spells.

47 minutes ago, Maxo Bug said:

Yeah, forgot to mention that. No tournaments here, my local scene is just starting. So, at least for now, is just to have fun, as it always should be IMHO, or at least a big part of it. Of course I wanna win and /or make it complicated enough for my opponent to win: at the end of the day, that makes the most fun games!

Gotcha! Well in that case might I suggest something like this?  I always struggle making everything I want fit in at 1000 points since we have lots of goodies.

Reikenor the Grimhailer (180)
Spirit Torment (120)
Lord Executioner (80) OR Tomb Banshee (80) OR Cairn Wraith (60)
6 x Spirit Hosts (240)
20 x Grimghast Reapers (280)
4 x Myrmourn Banshees (80)

Total: 980 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 59

The Spirit Hosts could be split in to two units of three as well, but I think keeping them as one unit is best.  That way it's harder for your opponent to wipe out the unit and lets you really make Ruler of the Spirit Hosts shine.  You lose some mobility by dropping the Hexwraiths, but I think you gain a lot of killing potential with the Grimghast Reapers.  Plus with our ability to deploy in the Underworld, you can make up for it with some cheeky backline charges.  With the Spirit Torment supporting your Spirit Hosts, your third hero supporting the Grimghasts, and Reikenor flying around tossing spells and joining favorable combats, you'd have a good game plan! 

If you have access to endless spells you could toss in the Quicksilver Swords (20) or Soulsnare Shackles (20) or if you take the Cairn Wraith instead of the Lord Executioner you'd have 40 points leftover and could take both, the Aethervoid Pendulum (40), or the Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (40).

That being said, given the goals you mentioned, I think you'll have fun with either list!  Definitely experiment and see which units you like and which you don't.

47 minutes ago, Maxo Bug said:

This I didn't understand: Myrmourns are not affected by bravery. They just eat spells.

You're 100% right! I mistakenly remembered the Myrmourns having the Tomb Banshee's scream.

On 1/17/2019 at 4:46 PM, relic456 said:

I always struggle making everything I want fit in at 1000 points since we have lots of goodies.

That's one of the things I like the most about the format: the strategic selection. Or at least compared to 2000 pts, which I find more like "throw everything in". Again, in comparison.

Definitely experiment and see which units you like and which you don't.

I think I will follow your advice, at least partially. I'm going to try my original list looking out for the things you said. Then, I think I'll first try to replace the stalkers and a hero for 10 of the reapers, keeping the Hexwraiths. I may do the jump to a 20 strength unit afterwards. You gave me some very good guidelines, and I thank you!

The Spirit Hosts could be split in to two units of three as well, but I think keeping them as one unit is best.  That way it's harder for your opponent to wipe out the unit and lets you really make Ruler of the Spirit Hosts shine

Yup, that was my line of thought!

If you have access to endless spells you could toss in the Quicksilver Swords (20) or Soulsnare Shackle(20) 

I don't, but had thought about the chains if picking the Cairn Wraith instead of executioner or banshee. But more based on "rule of cool" and theme than rules wise, which I don't handle yet for the Endless Spells.

Again, thanks!

Archived