Current 2k list - Khorne lean

Bronouns

I have only played a handful of games so far, and my local meta consists of one really good death player (which are proving hard to chew through).

2000 points

1x Skarbrand 400

6x bloodreavers (10) 360

1x fleshounds (5) 100

2x bloodsecrator 240

1x sayl the faithless 160

2x hellcannon 600

1x warplock jezzail (3) 140

I haven't played any of the general's handbook missions yet, but it does look like they require lots of 5 guys to hold a point.

Are bloodreavers too squishy?  Do i need to take a blood rain formation to make them more mobile since the secrators need to plant to make them immune?

Should I replace one hellcannon with a unit of warpfire stormfiends?  I do have Sayl in the list to teleport them around.

Do i need some things that stick around longer?

Bloodreavers can be very squishy without something like a Warshrine to give them a save although they can also hit like a train if you get your Bloodsecrator placement right.

A few things worth highlighting :)

• You've a lot of non-Khorne units in there (900 points worth) which aren't going to benef from your Bloodsecrators
  • Half the army is in three models (Skarbrand and the two hellcannons) - although this could work I think it's leaving you short in this sized game
  • You don't have a General with a command ability (though will have inspiring prescense and an allegiance one)
  • There are more synergies you could hook in with Khorne keywords - Bloodstoker is a good example

Running a wizard is also risky especially one like Sayl as he needs to be within 10" of the unit he's casting his buff on, this will likely put him in range of a planted banner - which forces him to re-roll any successful casts (twice if in range of both).  This means you may well have games where he does absolutely nothing (just as Khorne likes from those pesky finger wigglers).

I'd consider adding a skull cannon and some blood warriors into the mix in lieu of one of the hellcannons.  I can't comment on the jezzail as I've never played with/against them.

With the number of bloodreavers you're thinking of, a Slaughterpriest does open up a number of battalions which can make quite a difference with extra rules and bonuses.  The key with running bloodreavers is to bump their attacks up as high as possible so any heroes that do that are a bonus (Aspiring Deathbringer for example)

18 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

which forces him to re-roll any successful casts (twice if in range of both).  This means you may well have games where he does absolutely nothing (just as Khorne likes from those pesky finger wigglers).

The re-roll only effects opponents as you'd plant the banner(s) after you've cast.

The re-roll only effects opponents as you'd plant the banner(s) after you've cast.

This is a glaring mistake in the rules. Ditto mystical terrain rolls (which don't have to be at the start either in principle).

I don't really see the point in Sayl in this list when there are other options that are around the same price/cheaper that would better suit the army. As others have mentioned he's very easy to kill and has a limited range. I get that you can give Skarbrand an 18" fly move that would help him out but then he's been thrown far up field possibly alone.

The Curseling at 140points is a bargain and has 2 spell casts a turn. You could probably find more value in him.

The Curseling at 140points is a bargain and has 2 spell casts a turn. You could probably find more value in him.

The Gaunt summoner at 120 points (either of them - trade off between movement and quality of spell/toughness) is also very economical as a 2 spell wizard.

For Khorne you can take the Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster and 2 Bloodsecrators to send a unit running D6 plus 7 and then charging 2D6 plus 7 - makes more sense than Sayl.

Sayl is good for other big hammer units, e.g. Varanguard with the double pile in or even Archaon. 

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I guess my intent with the list is to make a "good stuff" list sort of like the lists that did well at SCGT which seemingly bucked synergy in favor of the whose who of good units in Chaos while meeting battleline requirements with bloodsecrator/bloodreaver combo.  So, I don't necessarily want to put more khorne in.  Is chaos pretty much khorne/nurgle synergy lists only or are "good stuff" lists still possible with the general's handbook?

With Sayl, i'm strongly considering Warpfire Stormvermin over the second hellcannon for some mortal wounds.  Is more than one 300 point mortal unit overkill?  For 100-140 point caster spot would pink horrors usually be better than all others bc they can take up a battleline slot?

I guess my intent with the list is to make a "good stuff" list sort of like the lists that did well at SCGT which seemingly bucked synergy in favor of the whose who of good units in Chaos while meeting battleline requirements with bloodsecrator/bloodreaver combo.  

I'm not sure this is a fair reflection. Rufio, the winner of the SCGT used one of the most broken synergies in the game - the Spiderfang formation - to produce a mortal wound factory that put Stormfiends to shame. I'd be careful before abandoning synergy as a key part of list building.

Unless you take Archaon (preferably Old Archaon), Chaos (other than Khorne) don't really have great combat synergies (cf. Celestial Hurricanum plus Lord Celestant plus Retributors, Tomb Kings, Flesh-Eaters, Saurus Guard plus Skink Priests).

7 hours ago, Nico said:

I'm not sure this is a fair reflection. Rufio, the winner of the SCGT used one of the most broken synergies in the game - the Spiderfang formation - to produce a mortal wound factory that put Stormfiends to shame. I'd be careful before abandoning synergy as a key part of list building.

Unless you take Archaon (preferably Old Archaon), Chaos (other than Khorne) don't really have great combat synergies (cf. Celestial Hurricanum plus Lord Celestant plus Retributors, Tomb Kings, Flesh-Eaters, Saurus Guard plus Skink Priests).

Hmm, I suppose I was cross referencing these two pages, and looking at the top Chaos players who aren't exactly mono-khorne

http://www.warscore.net/event/293/view.html

http://www.heelanhammer.com/SCGTdownloads/SCGT16Lists.pdf

Is mono-khorne really the only way to go and all other Chaos sucks post handbook?

I'm just not a fan of the bloodbound playstyle or aesthetics.  Nor do I own Wrathmongers/Slaughterpriests.

If your taking 60 blood reavers then for 280 points more (slaughterpriest, blood stoker and dark feast formation) makes them all have 1a extra each as long as SP is alive (so you can hold him back to keep safe if needs be) and are all immune to battleshock if within 12" of the bloodstoker get the distances right and with your 2 bloodsecrators that's 5 attacks each (so potentially 300 attacks for them all though your not likely to ever to get them all in combat at once) 

the blood stoker is a great utility piece and the slaughter priest himself can be useful too 

Archived