Disrupting unit cohesion with sniping & spells...

JPjr

Question

Bit of an odd one and both fairly hypothetical and highly situational but I'm sure it must have come up before so...

I was just looking at the warscroll for the new Goblin Loon King, and his Nikit! Nikit! spell lets you pick any model from a unit and (if successfully cast) do D3 mortal wounds. Now because of it's other ability to destroy an artefact and the damage is all done to one model I assume it would be mostly used on heroes but say you were up against a unit that was all strung out, could you cast it take out a model in the middle of the unit, and then cast something like Prismatic Palisade and place it in the gap that's been created, splitting the unit in half?

As I understand it Endless Spells count the same as any other models so it's not like a wall they can just climb over at the cost of an inch or 2. At the very least you totally mess with the unit's next movement turn as they have to waste it going around it to meet each other at one end to remain as a cohesive unit but if there's some fortuitous placing of scenery/buildings around that can stymie it joining back up you could totally ****** it up.

There's a few other spells or abilities that let you target specific models in units so sure something like this must have come up before, just never seen it mentioned. Anyone come across something like this in a game?

3 answers to this question

@Zamik ah just looked again and you're absolutely correct, my bad.

still i'm pretty (well vaguely) sure there's a couple of other wizards with spells that can target a specific model so still potentially an option somehow, somewhere.

Morathi has a 6" range shooting attack which can snipe out a model (and thus break 1" coherency), I believe the other attacks which target an individual model are melee attacks (Stardrake, Gargant, etc.) and are therefore a little easier to work around with pile-in moves (though it does mean you've got to activate second against a big scary monster to avoid getting units cut in half!)

I think there are a few realm spells in Malign Sorcery which have you rolling to remove models, rather than cause wounds, but if I recall correctly they let your opponent choose which models out of the unit actually get removed, and so don't have this issue.

Archived