Retributor Lightning Hammer Rule (how to save)

Archaon

Question

Hi,

I'm just querying the rule text on the Retributor Lightning Hammer, it says: "... hit roll is 6 or more... inflicts 2 mortal wounds... Do not make a wound or save roll for the attack."

It says not to make a save roll for the attack but does that also include a units ability save such as a Chaos Runeshield for instance?

Is this like a wound inflicted by Skarbrand's Carnage?

Apologies if this is an obvious question, I'm quite new to the game.

Many thanks,

Mr. Archaon

3 answers to this question

On 12/1/2018 at 12:31 PM, Archaon said:

Hi,

I'm just querying the rule text on the Retributor Lightning Hammer, it says: "... hit roll is 6 or more... inflicts 2 mortal wounds... Do not make a wound or save roll for the attack."

It says not to make a save roll for the attack but does that also include a units ability save such as a Chaos Runeshield for instance?

Is this like a wound inflicted by Skarbrand's Carnage?

Apologies if this is an obvious question, I'm quite new to the game.

Many thanks,

Mr. Archaon

The Term "Save" is only used for the role on the "Save Characteristic" in the top left part of the warscroll (the circle with the values for move, save, bravery and wounds.

Rules like the chaos shield don't have an official name by GW, but are often called "After Save" because they are triggered when wounds/mortal wounds are allocated, after the save.

Things that provide resistance to mortal wounds are not actually “saves” as such — they are all (to my knowledge) worded slightly differently to differentiate themselves from “save rolls.” So any mortal wound resistance (including Chaos Runeshields) would still apply to Lightning Hammer damage. 

Archived