Piling in rule clarifications.

Luzgurbel

Question

Hello.

I have some doubts regarding pile in rule. The rules, clearly, says "A unit can make a pile-in move if it is within 3" of an enemy unit or has made a charge move in the same turn. If this is the case, you can move each model in the unit up to 3". Each model must finish its pile-in move at least as close to the nearest enemy model as it was at the start of the move."

My hesitate comes with the last part, "nearest enemy". How can I engaged other units behind a screen if the screen's models will be always the closest enemies? Can I move around an enemy model to allow other models of my unit get close? Can I start the move base to base to an enemy model and move into an another enemy model to get base to base too?

Thank you.

P.S. Any clarification you could also add, it will be welcome ^^

2 answers to this question

13 minutes ago, Luzgurbel said:

Hello.

I have some doubts regarding pile in rule. The rules, clearly, says "A unit can make a pile-in move if it is within 3" of an enemy unit or has made a charge move in the same turn. If this is the case, you can move each model in the unit up to 3". Each model must finish its pile-in move at least as close to the nearest enemy model as it was at the start of the move."

My hesitate comes with the last part, "nearest enemy". How can I engaged other units behind a screen if the screen's models will be always the closest enemies? Can I move around an enemy model to allow other models of my unit get close? Can I start the move base to base to an enemy model and move into an another enemy model to get base to base too?

Thank you.

P.S. Any clarification you could also add, it will be welcome ^^

When one of your models starts its pile-in move, you check which enemy model is the closest to it and the distance between the two of them. During the pile-in move, your model is allowed to increase this distance to the enemy model, but it is not allowed to be farther away from it at the end of the pile-in move. 

To answer your specific question regarding base to base: Lets name your model A and the enemy models B and C. We presume your model A starts its pile-in move in base to base contact with B. Therefore the distance between A and B is 0". You are allowed to move anywhere you want during your pile-in as long as model A end the movement in base to base contact with B (since it is not allowed to be farther away than 0" from model B). As long as you meet those requirements, you are free to get into base to base contact with model C. If you do so, model A will be in base to base with B and C at the end of its pile-in.

Hope I could help, feel free to ask if anything was unclear.

As an extra - you're right. If a screening unit's models are closest (remember, "nearest" is determined between individual *models* regardless of unit) then no, you won't be able to attack the units they are screening - at least until the you've inflicted some damage.

Although to be fair, that is kinda why that tactic is called screening!

Archived