Are Fyreslayers defensive ?

Heavy-Nintendo-Boy

Hi ! 

Im new to AoS and i always liked dwarfs. Im now deciding which army to start, so im looking at Fyreslayers and would like to now if they are defensive. I would like to play army where i kinda wait and let the enemy come to me. Are the Fyreslayers like that ? Is there even an army in AoS that plays like that ? 

Thanks.

Hmm i dont know. Fyreslayers really want to run forward on their short legs and fight the biggest foe they can find. You dont really have any long range to force the enemy to come to you.

There are rumors of än upcoming steampunk dwarf fraction that I would think are more shooty and defensive minded if you can wait.

Another option is legion of azgorh (chaos dwarfs). It is an army sold by forgeworld so it is a bit expensive and only on mail order. But it is really cool so if not have a look at their models.

Although Fyreslayers are an army of crazy fanatic berzerkers, they have a bag full of tricks on the battleboard. You can play defensively by using two ot three units of Vulkite with shields, boosted by a Battlesmith, and behind them two units of ten Auric Hearthguard and a pair of Magmadroths for shooting. Add to the mix some Runemaster to compromise the use of cover to your opponent. Just remember that we don't need to stay still to fire for full effect (probably the only army who can do that) and our max range is 15 inches (even better 8-15 inches, love the handaxes).

On 7/31/2016 at 10:51 AM, Ansuz said:

Although Fyreslayers are an army of crazy fanatic berzerkers, they have a bag full of tricks on the battleboard. You can play defensively by using two ot three units of Vulkite with shields, boosted by a Battlesmith, and behind them two units of ten Auric Hearthguard and a pair of Magmadroths for shooting. Add to the mix some Runemaster to compromise the use of cover to your opponent. Just remember that we don't need to stay still to fire for full effect (probably the only army who can do that) and our max range is 15 inches (even better 8-15 inches, love the handaxes).

Pretty much. If defensive is the style you want you can do that with Fyreslayers just keep in mind synergies to get hearthguard a better ward save requires close-by characters and auric have none to weather. Vulkites get 4+ ward at 20 or more models so if you want to keep them in good shape why you wait for the enemy to approach use big units. You can mix, circle or even tunnel magmadroths or big units behind the foe. Lots of options but personally I don't think the Fyreslayers shine sitting and waiting for the foe to come. Dispossed, sure. Can't wait to see the Steamhead. Hopefully better than the Titan Forge metal beards.

Archived