Paint brush sizes, advice please

Phil D

Hi all,

Thought I would tap into the collective genius of the forum and ask for some advice about paint brush sizes. I am planning to invest in some Winser and Newton paint brushes, having been advised that they are the best around. Looking on 'tinternet' they come in various sizes from 0000, up to 8 and beyond, so how do I decide what sizes to buy?

Does anyone have any advice about what sizes are best? I've been trying to check the size based on the GW brushes I have but can't find a reliable size guide to say which compares to which. The difference between say a size 1 and 2  looks to be about 1/32 of an inch, pretty small to my eye.

Any help or advice much appreciated.

I think it's really up to your painting level, confidence in your skills, and tremor risk… I'm personnaly not a skilled painter, and use :
- 10-sized brush for basecoating and first layer step on larger areas
- 6-sized brush for almost every job
- 4 and 2-sized brushes for freehand drawing, extreme highlighting and smaller details

Remember that an accurate brush is a sharp brush, not a small brush. When not overloaded with paint my 2-sized brush suits any kind of detail (at my painting level though). And I also prefer it over a 6-sized brush because the 6 is used so much it lost its sharpness...

Thanks for all the advice, really helpful. I'm not a bad painter and, having just started building a Stardrake, I want to take it to the next level for my centre piece model.

Unfortunately I have to use a magnifying glass to see the detail and my hand shakes a bit but other than that I'm not too bad. I think part of the problem in the past has been the overloaded brush, so thanks for that tip.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Archived