List for tournament

agee_23

Hi there death fellas!

I am going to play a local tournament (my first) the next week and I would like your advice, I have the following list:

VLZD

Necromancer

40 Chainrasp

5 Wolves

30 Reapers

The question is with which legion to play the list, as well as artifacts, command ability etc. 

Primary missions will be from GH 2018. Secondary missions will be hidden agenda.

I know others will play Nurgle, DoK, Idoneth, Sigmarines, Skavens… and they normally play the big models.

Thanks beforehand, as unfortunately I will not have time to try the list in advance  :) 

Hi mate,

well that depends on your playstyle.

You could go for LoS - the +1 to cast is always nice to have. And you may wanna make the VLoZD your General and give him the "Dark Arcolyte" trait. So he could additionally always cast Mystic shield on himself. Now give him the ethereal amulet as artefact from the realm of Shyish and he'll have a 3+ Save, ignores rend and will re-roll save rolls of 1. Should be quiet a tanky beast in a 1250 pts game. :-)

4 hours ago, Sneedlewoods said:

Hi mate,

well that depends on your playstyle.

You could go for LoS - the +1 to cast is always nice to have. And you may wanna make the VLoZD your General and give him the "Dark Arcolyte" trait. So he could additionally always cast Mystic shield on himself. Now give him the ethereal amulet as artefact from the realm of Shyish and he'll have a 3+ Save, ignores rend and will re-roll save rolls of 1. Should be quiet a tanky beast in a 1250 pts game. :-)

I think you are reading dark acolyte wrong, VLoZD will still have 1 spell to cast per turn, this trait only allows him to pick additional spell from lore of dead, not cast more

The Legion you can forget is legion of blood...

although -1 bravery might be good in some fights and it really upgrades your VloZd.

Night lets you ambush, might be good to position your VloZd for max damage, outflank with some ghosts and late game sneak with the wolves, depending on the scenario quite useful. Just dump 40 rasps on your opponents home base...

Sacrament makes sure you get your spells off, pretty important with the low model count and stuff. Also the 4+ Resurrection might come in handy after you’ve outgrind something, resummon...probably the wolves 

Grand Host has the endless legion for extra healing, but not much more, since you have no morghast

Sooo... Night>Sacrament>Blood>Host

Artifact probably ethereal if you play with realm rules, otherwise  things get tricky again...

good luck!!!

9 hours ago, Honk said:

The Legion you can forget is legion of blood...

although -1 bravery might be good in some fights and it really upgrades your VloZd.

Night lets you ambush, might be good to position your VloZd for max damage, outflank with some ghosts and late game sneak with the wolves, depending on the scenario quite useful. Just dump 40 rasps on your opponents home base...

Sacrament makes sure you get your spells off, pretty important with the low model count and stuff. Also the 4+ Resurrection might come in handy after you’ve outgrind something, resummon...probably the wolves 

Grand Host has the endless legion for extra healing, but not much more, since you have no morghast

Sooo... Night>Sacrament>Blood>Host

Artifact probably ethereal if you play with realm rules, otherwise  things get tricky again...

good luck!!!

here's my two pennies. based on @agee_23's initial list, this looks like a 1250 game. Now, The VLoZD is 35% of your army and outside Grimghast your biggest hammer. *Legion of Blood* is arguably one of the better options. Take Feathers for -1 to hit artefact, along with *aura of dark majesty* , you're at base -2 to hit in combat. Ethereal Amulet might be pretty good with mystic shield. This gives you the ability to cast other spells when you have base -2 to hit. Throw in Pinions for that sweet turn 1 charge into your enemy and lock them down. We're not even going to consider -1 bravery and +1 attack here because that's not the point :)

*Grand Host of Nagash*, you get the option of going *bane of the living* which boost your offensive ability against heroes (your Grimghast will clear the larger hordes). Now you can pop command ability for rerolls to hit, rerolling 1s to wound (except against death). Not the strongest option.

*Legion of Night* is really good for outflank but arguably in my opinion one of the weaker options. Without any Cogs in your list, it's still a risky 33% charge. However, Merciless Hunter gives you rerolling 1s to wound, which is unconditional. therefore better than GHoN 

*Legion of Sacrament* is probably one of the most balanced . The +1 to cast makes it 4s to cast for Overwhelming Dread, 5s to cast for Danse. *Mastery of Death* is often an overlooked command trait. This allows your units to move additional 3" at hero phase, including your general (with pinions ... imagine that!). 

In my opinion Night/GHoN is probably the weaker option with Blood being the strongest in 1.25k game with your NH list. Not many units can deal with your VLoZD, in blood this makes it borderline unfun and Sacrament to buff your Grimghast.

There you have it... maybe given enough time a totally different third opinion will come along 

takaloy is right, the aura/feather charm combo makes you VloZd untouchable in melee, prevents crazy 6+ stuff... 

So maybe LoB is not off the table yet. Tough decisions for you my friend ;-D

Thank you  everyone for your answers!

What artifact is the Feathers? I cannot find it and its an interesting idea :).

I decide to go Sacrament with the ability to move 3 inches in the hero phase. The idea is to throw the two large units in front of the army and have the dragon second line to support wherever it is needed and return the units if they are destroyed.

My biggest concern is to use the VLoZD as a general and to have him in the front of the army, although its tough, if the rival focus on him (or with mortal wounds, maybe a weakness) they can eliminate it. On the other hand, as Takaloy have said, the VLoZD is a third of the points of the army and leave him behind the large units also seems a waste.

I've been thinking (also for bigger battles) in a cheap general to be leaved behind resurrecting while the rest of the army is advancing to the enemy, I also think its super fluffy!

What about to choose the necromancer as general with the -2 to be shoot Wristbands and surrounding him with some cheap summonable unit? And a Wight king in coverage and/or with Balewind vortex for 1+ saves (maybe Legion of Night for a 0+) and the trait of casting spells? Do you think its a viable strategy? Any other build?

PD: Excuse me for any misspelling, English is not my native language

49 minutes ago, agee_23 said:

What artifact is the Feathers?

Comes with the malignant sorcery book, some realm artifact(iirc gives +1 move and -1to be hit). Details elude me, don’t have the book myself...

Always the problem with picking a general. Rotigus+nurgle Wheel can dish out 2d3 mortals to a unit per turn across the board, so the necromancer is maybe too squishy. 

On the other handside 14hp in a melee is nothing to get cocky with, a unit of 10 ironjaw brutes or a bloodthirster might just one-shot you...

positioning, target choice, flanking denial, counter charge... dice rolling. The things when fun and happy listbuilding gets hit y harsh reality, double turn!!!

if you play deathrattle a wightking general in the woods surrounded by 10 skellis, or a necro on disc both can be pretty good and viable in many scenarios. 

the first I want to mention is that the Necromancer is anything *but* fragile. on a 4+ he can bounce off all wounds and mortal wounds to a summonable unit. he's only 110 points and you need a disproportionate amount of fire power to take him out. natural -1 to hit, the fact he can simply go out of line of sight whilst still being able to try danse on his summables makes him extremely annoying.

the problem however with the necromancer is his movement. it's a pretty big problem because your biggest advantage is your ability to bring back an entire blob of destroyed units back on the table and you need mobility to do so or else you'll get locked out. If you're fairly confident that won't be the case then I think he's the best option for a general in most cases.

Vampire Lord on Zombie dragon on the other hand has a big target on him and his aggressive positioning means that you aren't always in the best position to bring back units. The other factor is probably because your enemies are busy trying to bring him down. Either way if you're going LoS then I suggest go with Ethereal Amulet (3+ ignore rend) or Doppelganger cloak (always attack first, with good placement you can avoid being targeted combat entirely) or -1 wound banner.

Personally I'd go with the necromancer being the general in LoS and throw Vampire Lord as your big battering ram with Ethereal Amulet (you're on a 5+ mystic shield. you should *always* cast this)

Archived