Splitting attacks and "wholly within"

Luzgurbel

Question

I have a couple of questions regarding what I say in the title:

-Can a unit split their attacks into different enemy units? Including ranged attacks? For example, can a unit of 10 crossbowmen shoots 5 crossbows at one enemy unit and the other 5 crossbows at another enemy unit?

-What is the intention with "wholly within"? I understand that the whole unit must be in range of the source, but what about the bases? Let's picture a circle (meaning the wholly withing); do the bases be completely inside of that circle, or can they be part of the bases outside as long as at least one part of the base are still inside?

Thanks in advance ^^

2 answers to this question

30 minutes ago, Luzgurbel said:

I have a couple of questions regarding what I say in the title:

-Can a unit split their attacks into different enemy units? Including ranged attacks? For example, can a unit of 10 crossbowmen shoots 5 crossbows at one enemy unit and the other 5 crossbows at another enemy unit?

-What is the intention with "wholly within"? I understand that the whole unit must be in range of the source, but what about the bases? Let's picture a circle (meaning the wholly withing); do the bases be completely inside of that circle, or can they be part of the bases outside as long as at least one part of the base are still inside?

Thanks in advance ^^

Yes, but all targets must be declared before you roll any dice. So you can't for example keep plinking away at a 3-man unit to pop it before saying the rest of your attacks go elsewhere.

Wholly within means all of the base - Designer's commentary/FAQ under "Distances".

1 hour ago, Luzgurbel said:

There are a whole lot of different cases:

(1) A model has to be within = just some part of the models base has to be in range

(2) A model has to be wholly within = the whole base has to be in range

(3) A unit has to be within = just some part of the base of one model has to be in range

(4) A unit has to be wholly within = the whole base of every model in the unit has to be in range

and

(5) All models of a unit have to be within = just some part of the base of every model has to be in range

Archived