Norsca Invasion

Grendel

Image result for wulfrik the wanderer gif

Greetings Generals!

Looking for a bit of advice on forming a Chaos army, with a heavy Norsca theme.
If you've played Total Wars Norsca expansion, you'll know what I mean!

I'm thinking the best approach would be a Khorne / Slaves to Darkness mix.  So I'd like opinions on the following:

1). Wulfrik the Wanderer as General, I'd imagine as a Exalted Deathbringer with Runemarked Shield, or Possibly a Mighty Lord of Khorne if I stick a Flesh Hound on his base. What would work?

2). In terms of Battle line, how do Bloodreavers compare with Marauders? Blood Warriors with Chaos Warriors? Priests could work well with the infantry side of the force, so a Gore Pilgrimage?

3). Cavalry: I really like the look of Marauder Horse with Javelins. Chariots look good, but I'm not blown away by the rules, can they work well? Chaos Knights might also fit in. So taking a Ruinbringer Warband might be a good option here?

4). Skin Wolves just fit the theme so well. What do they work well with? Is there anything worth buffing them with?

5). I'd love a Mamoth BUT it's no longer in production, so it's out.

1) either, but thematically I’d put a wolf on his base as a counts as flesh hound, and go with mighty lord of khorne

2) bloodreavers over marauders, for me. Both look suitably norscan, but a) the reavers are better sculpts, and b) they will outperform marauders generally. Blood warriors / chaos warriors is more of a close call - BW slightly tip it for damage if you add no respite and goreglaives, but CW with shields have mw denial. On balance I think BW look too khornate, so I’d probably stick with CW (with mark of khorne, so you can keep khorne allegiance - true throughout). Gore pilgrims is quite expensive for what it does, I’d rather get another bloodsecrator and change.

3) Javelin marauder horsemen can be useful, but require a bit of finesse. Good wizard hunters, etc. Units of 10 and keep them mobile, don’t get bogged down. I run horse chariots because they look great on the table, but they are not really for fighting - people generally recommend gore beasts instead. Personally, I’d again replace either with wolves for a norscan theme, and go with whichever you fancy rules/points wise! Chaos knights are a generally reliable unit, but don’t expect huge damage output.

4) haven’t used them - will pass comment!

5) Convert a thundertusk or two with reaver riders,  use them as slaughterbrutes? Would give you thematic monsters.

I’d also keep khorne allegiance at present, just make sure to give any STD get mark of khorne, and you’re good. 

good luck with it - I’d love to see pictures.

Thanks for the suggestions :)

I am tempted to convert a Thundertusk into a Warshrine. Make it mini War Mamoth, with Priest on top in a little howdah.

Norsca is still a legit chaos force, so I don't want to go overboard and replace everything with wolves, but a few mixed in with some daemons should give the right balance. I can always use Blood Warriors / Reavers and convert to Chaos Warriors / Marauders. Marauder sculpts are looking dated.
Blood warrior models with round viking style shields might work well. That MW denial does sound decent. 

When I decided to do something similar (project aborted due to lack of money and space at home) I thought of a Khorne based army of Marauders with flails (Bloodreavers conversion) as your basic troop or without flails for chaff; Bloodwarriors as your Berzerkers (equipped with the shield that reflects MW on 6+) as they get to attack before dying and anyway they are pretty resilient; Skin wolves in packs of 6 (2-4 unit); a War Mammoth (compulsory!! And now that they can be marked is a joy for all Chaos players); maybe a Warshrine of Khorne; and heroes that can buff the amount of attacks the units do like a Bloodsecrator and Aspiring Deathbringer (but really any combination of Blades of Khonre heroes that can  buff that way). Of course if your idea is to do a thematic army you cannot build a Khorne allegiance army and you have to stay on Chaos GA. Now the thing are changed a bit with 2.0 so maybe you can work around this idea and still building something different in terms of synergies.

As per the Mammoth take a look at Mierce miniatures, the make a wonderful Mammoth and you will "just" need t mount a palanquin on top.

http://mierce-miniatures.com/index.php?act=pro&pre=mrm_dkl_fmr_blr_mbs_701_000

My concern with the Mammoth, is that since it's OOP with Forgeworld, it probably won't have any rules in two years time. That's an investment I don't fancy.

Warpfire dragon looks tasty though, anyone used that?

This is the first draft of the list I'd like to build towards. Not having much Chaos or AoS experience I'm looking for critism ?

Allegiance: Khorne
Mortal Realm: Hysh

LEADERS
Exalted Deathbringer (80)
- General
- Bloodbite Axe & Shield
- Artefact : Aetherquartz Brooch

Bloodstoker (80)

Aspiring Deathbringer (80)
- Bloodaxe and Wrath Hammer

Slaughterpriest (100)

Slaughterpriest with Hackblade and Wrathhammer (100)

Bloodsecrator (140)
- Artefact : Collar of Khorne

UNITS
20 x Bloodreavers (140)
-Meatripper Axes

20 x Bloodreavers (140)
-Meatripper Axes

5 x 
Blood Warriors (100)
-Goreaxe & Gorefist

Chaos Warshrine (160)
- Mark of Chaos : Khorne