Compendium Ironjawz

Sangfroid

So Grimgor Ironhide and the Black Orc Big boss have both got the "ironjawz" keyword on the app (note this has changed from Ironjaws) 

whats the the consensus on 

1) both being included in an ironjawz allegiance army (I can't see why this would be a problem at all)

2) on grimgors scroll he specifically gives a unit of Black Orcs deployed 3" away reroll 1s to hit (Da Immortulz) a black Orc wars roll no longer exists so does this mean this ability is wasted or can we use it on a unit of ardboyz

3) the ironjawz big mob battalion scroll also requires black Orc so like 2) above do ardboyz count for this? (Note lose ironjawz army allegiance as there is a giant in there) 

1: I don't think he can be included in an Ironjawz allegiance army, but Destruction - yes.

You can of course allow this via house-ruling with your club or friends but the rules do not permit your suggestion. While they are both Ironjaws and are affected by things working with the Ironjaws keyword they aren't listed in the book underneath the Ironjaws faction. This is similar to how a lot of Ogre Kingdoms characters are a 'separate faction that isn't a faction', to preclude them from 'pure' Gutbuster armies. This is surely a balancing mechanic where you can't both have your cake (any units you want) and eat it too (get subfaction bonuses).

2: The ability is wasted (but see 3!)

3: Without an Errata changing the Black Orc requirement, you can't sub in ardboyz however logical that would be :( This is another houseruling opportunity and I don't think it should be a big trouble. Just don't expect to drop it on randoms or take it to tournaments!

@Sangfroid

Yeh I saw this brought up in another thread. Very interesting indeed.

1) 100% yes. I disagree with @Emicus - Where the warscroll is located is irrelevant, it's all about the key words. The fact they've gone to the effort to change the keyword to Ironjawz makes it very clear these can be used. 

Unfortunately 2) and 3) definitely don't work. I would require an update to the scrolls to change the wording from Black Orcs to Ardboyz.

But yeh, overall we have gained two new characters. After I've painted my initial 2k, I will be converting up a Black Orc Big Boss (henceforth known as an Ardnob - thanks @Forestreveries) - whilst not as hitty as a Megaboss, his command ability definitely has some mileage.

Also for the points of a Megaboss and a Weirdnob, you could take an Ardnob and 2 Warchanters.

Definitely opens up some new possibilities.

2 minutes ago, Chris Tomlin said:

1) 100% yes. I disagree with @Emicus - Where the warscroll is located is irrelevant, it's all about the key words. The fact they've gone to the effort to change the keyword to Ironjawz makes it very clear these can be used. 

If they bothered to change the KEYWORD, why would they not also errata the GHB to include the unit under the sub-faction? That's my point of contention. Although I agree the KEYWORD itself is.. key..

@Emicus

Because it's still a compendium scroll. Changing the keyword doesn't change that. Some players/groups/tournaments will choose to disallow the compendium stuff (perhaps increasingly so going forwards), but if they are fair game you can certainly include the Ardnob or Grimgor in your Ironjawz army and claim Ironjawz allegiance as all units will have the keyword (this is the only stipulation - not which book you got the scroll from).

If anyone would like the warscrolls they can be found here:
https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/resources/PDF/AoS_Compendiums/warhammer-aos-orcs-and-goblins-en.pdf

@Chris Tomlin It's certainly going to be interesting to see how the game develops going forward. I would definitively allow those units in a pure Ironjaws army myself. It's reasons like this we have the board for discussion!

@Chris Tomlin@Emicus

yup I agree I re-read the allegiance section of the GHB and it just stipulates Keyword. Awesome. 

The command ability is pretty Amazing if your running small units of brutes but I still think the megaboss one will be better or gordrakks if your runni formations. So a large 10 man brute unit with IP to protect until ready to get stuck in. 

Where I found BOBs to be amazing pre-ironjawz was tuckin in behind Ardboyz (so effectively 2" from front of base. So if charged could pile in thru the casualties or around the outside if you position everyone well enough that's 3a 2/3/-2/d3 damage they really can put the hurt out , at new dawn my BoB with the aid of the normal +1a from warboss took 10 wounds off and felled the mighty Skaarac after he had smashed thru 10 ardboyz and grimgor!

Grimgor is now an alternative choice to a warchanter (for 60pt more) as he makes all Orruk models within 10" bubble get +1 to hit only downside is you lose a command trait as he is a named character so might not be suitable if you want to ravager :-)

Archived