Desk magnifiers

Hello all. I'm getting older, and my eyes are getting worse. Even with my specs I'm finding my close focus is never as close as I need for painting. So, I'm looking for recommendations for a desk magnifier that will allow me to actually see my models properly up close again while painting. The problem is that some of those I've seen in the past don't have great optical quality across the whole of the lens. There are a lot of sub-par plastic lenses out there that I'm not sure if want to be peering through for long. So, does anyone have any recommendations of a decent hands-free desk lens that had plenty of space behind for two hands, a brush and a model while being optically decent?

Cheers.

As a “mature” hobbyist myself I’m starting to have the same problem. 

I haven’t moved onto using a magnifier (yet), but what I have found really helps is wearing a head torch.  It’s amazing the difference it makes when I’m trying to focus on a small detail. 

Also, it wouldn’t be at all expensive to give one a try.

If you do end up buying a magnifier please post up a review - I’d be keen to read about how you get along. 

MGP

On 7/8/2018 at 8:15 AM, Petloski said:

Have you considered a head loupe?

I use one at work for sculpting fine details, and it’s fantastic.

Because it’s just in front of your eyes, you have a much more natural painting position.

^ this :)  Everybody is different, but I've found people tend to get on better with head magnifiers than desk based ones.  One of the biggest pains I've found with a desk one is that you end up having to hold the model a good foot and more away from the magnifier else you clout it with your brush which means you end up hunched over it like a little old man.

On 7/7/2018 at 5:56 PM, MyGeekyPersona said:

As a “mature” hobbyist myself I’m starting to have the same problem. 

I haven’t moved onto using a magnifier (yet), but what I have found really helps is wearing a head torch.  It’s amazing the difference it makes when I’m trying to focus on a small detail.

This is a brilliant idea (no pun intended!) I'm totally going to do this now.

Archived