Cypher

Question

What does the word "within" mean in Age of Sigmar?  Does it imply completely within, or any portion within?  I'll ask specifically about Slyvaneth Wood abilities and spells, does one part of the 1-3 woods need to be in range or does the entire new wood?  I'll pose the challenge that a single wood is 6.25 inches wide, and the score requires it to be at least 1" away from all models but "within" 5" of the bearer.  Does it just not work, or is the answer partially within?  

13 answers to this question

So the any part of the closest model applies here, as well?  I ask because that's the way I read it, but it seems insanely powerful to be able to spring up a line of trees starting 5" from my model and extending 30" across the table.  So powerful in fact the local GW store manager is determined that's not what it means.

There's a very specific question about "within" in the FAQ. Might be about Archaon. Closest can be seem in that Ironjaw wizard - he deflects to the closest (ie not himself). 

Another use of "within" can be used with scenery. Within in that case refers to the whole base of that unit being on the scenery. 

Hmmm you know original i thought it would be within, as inside.

though many places say unit's Within. For instance piling in in combat. You can only activate if you have enemy's within 3". Some models can't be whoiely within 3" so any part of the model in said range would be the deal.

So what about summoning?? As far as i could tell each model just needs a part of them to be within the required range. 

1 hour ago, Cypher said:

By this as long as one of the models is partly within you seem good.....

no no no it's pretty clear each model must be within. They say "set up x models of Y within z"  " I can't super look atthe wording as my AoS app is dead x.x

They almost never say "models within", they say "unit within", so nearest point of nearest model. Hence Conga lines where a single model is in the summoning distance and then the rest are one inch away from it etc.. It's not broken as you still have the 9 inch minimum range problem so more than half the time your models cannot charge and just sit there (disclaimer I rarely summon even with armies which can and I don't have a Bastiladon).

I think this was clarified a long time ago.

8 hours ago, Nico said:

They almost never say "models within", they say "unit within", so nearest point of nearest model. Hence Conga lines where a single model is in the summoning distance and then the rest are one inch away from it etc.. It's not broken as you still have the 9 inch minimum range problem so more than half the time your models cannot charge and just sit there (disclaimer I rarely summon even with armies which can and I don't have a Bastiladon).

I think this was clarified a long time ago.

Sure it's not broken on a stay away from your opponent stand point, but from the stand point of  claim objective it's pretty strong. a Line of 20 zombies can strike out accross the whole bored early in the game. I guess it just shows the amazing poower of what summoning is. 

Like the pitched objective most havve objective in the middle of the map. You can make it next to impossible to get to with 1 or two summoning spells. 

As for the working it says set up a "unit of x Zombies within y" " So i was partly right, but as the app was failing me i use that as my excuse for being wrong :P 

Archived