Trying to run The Court of Nulamhia

Nullius

Hey all, I love Soulblight models and Neferata has always been my favorite deathlord. Annoyingly, neither Varghiests nor Blood Knights can be taken as battle line for LOB, so i guess wolves are a Must. I really like using command points for garunteed runs and The new Gears endless spell for adding another 2” to movement means with the formation, and a casting of the Lore of Vampires flying spell, a VLOZD can move 25” and still charge (or 30” if the spell goes off twice or 36” if you run and use a command point) and Neferata is even faster. Unfortunately the Bloodseeker Palaquin seems stupendously overpriced for what it does. The base cost of the units and the warscroll battalion is 1410 points! I know this list will never be that competitive, but it sounds fun and fluffy to use. Anyone have any idea what’s I should fill out my list with to make it work? 

It's good to see another Legion of Blood fan, though I must say that you've set yourself a difficult task getting this army to work. Not only does the battalion have such a high cost, it lacks some of the heroes you'd want to use in a Death army, such as a necromancer. More than that however, the problem is that while the army is fast, the additional bonuses, such as the pinions spell, will only work on a single model, meaning that while they may be able to zoom across the board, they will often have to do so unsupported. I'm temted to recommend just going all out and fill up the battalion with two VLoZD's, direwolves battleline, cogs, and a command point, but I think that army, while fun to play, will really struggle with holding objectives. So here's my take on a Court of Nulahmia army;

Allegiance: Legion of Blood

Leaders
Neferata Mortarch Of Blood (400)
Vampire Lord On Zombie Dragon (440)
- Deathlance
Bloodseeker Palanquin (320)
Vampire Lord (140)

Battleline
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)

Units
1 x Corpse Cart (80)
2 x Morghast Harbingers (220)
- Spirit Halberds

Battalions
Court of Nulahmia (110)

Cogs 60

CP 50

Total: 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 90

4 hours ago, Grimnaud said:

It's good to see another Legion of Blood fan, though I must say that you've set yourself a difficult task getting this army to work. Not only does the battalion have such a high cost, it lacks some of the heroes you'd want to use in a Death army, such as a necromancer. More than that however, the problem is that while the army is fast, the additional bonuses, such as the pinions spell, will only work on a single model, meaning that while they may be able to zoom across the board, they will often have to do so unsupported. I'm temted to recommend just going all out and fill up the battalion with two VLoZD's, direwolves battleline, cogs, and a command point, but I think that army, while fun to play, will really struggle with holding objectives. So here's my take on a Court of Nulahmia army;

Leaders
Vampire Lord On Zombie Dragon (440)
- Deathlance
Vampire Lord (140)

Battleline
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)

Units
1 x Corpse Cart (80)
2 x Morghast Harbingers (220)
- Spirit Halberds

Battalions
Court of Nulahmia (110)

Cogs 60

CP 50

Total: 2000
Wounds: 90

I’m thinking that with the VLOZD getting +1 attack from LOB and +1 attack from the Vampire lord on foot, and the. Rerolling to hit from his own command ability, there is almost nothing the guy can’t handle on the charge. So maybe a good anvil like a wall of spirit hosts (or maybe chainrasps) would synergize better. I do love Morghasts thematically though, like royal bodyguards for the royal court.

42 minutes ago, Nullius said:

I’m thinking that with the VLOZD getting +1 attack from LOB and +1 attack from the Vampire lord on foot, and the. Rerolling to hit from his own command ability, there is almost nothing the guy can’t handle on the charge. So maybe a good anvil like a wall of spirit hosts (or maybe chainrasps) would synergize better. I do love Morghasts thematically though, like royal bodyguards for the royal court.

Yeah, but at that point you’re burning through all your CP’s on turn 1. Not to mention that with 6 drops you’re far from garanteed the first turn in the new edition.

A summonable anvil isn’t a bad idea though. But at that point you might as well drop the Morghasts and a unit of wolves for 40 skeletons. Boring to paint, dull to move, but will give you a much greater flexibility to hold objectives and gain board control.

I included the Morghasts because at that point you get three units that can with a degree of certainty could make a charge on turn one. Though 40 skeletons can as well, especially if you’re willing to spend a CP to reroll it.

An additional factor to consider in addition to list building is how you want the army to play. The VLoZD is zippy-fast with courts and the cogs, but he can’t take on an army on his own. Though he can be very tanky with Dark Mist and Mystic Shield on him, he needs support. If you charge him across the board turn one, what is the rest of your army doing? How are you scoring VPs in the various missions? The Court is VERY hero-centric, so whatever you spend the remaining points on should aid you in that plan.

5 minutes ago, Grimnaud said:

Yeah, but at that point you’re burning through all your CP’s on turn 1. Not to mention that with 6 drops you’re far from garanteed the first turn in the new edition.

A summonable anvil isn’t a bad idea though. But at that point you might as well drop the Morghasts and a unit of wolves for 40 skeletons. Boring to paint, dull to move, but will give you a much greater flexibility to hold objectives and gain board control.

I included the Morghasts because at that point you get three units that can with a degree of certainty could make a charge on turn one. Though 40 skeletons can as well, especially if you’re willing to spend a CP to reroll it.

An additional factor to consider in addition to list building is how you want the army to play. The VLoZD is zippy-fast with courts and the cogs, but he can’t take on an army on his own. Though he can be very tanky with Dark Mist and Mystic Shield on him, he needs support. If you charge him across the board turn one, what is the rest of your army doing? How are you scoring VPs in the various missions? The Court is VERY hero-centric, so whatever you spend the remaining points on should aid you in that plan.

Agreed. I don’t think this army will every work well, but I think it can work if it has a decent anvil that is also summonable. It is a very fast army, so maybe chainrasp hordes are better than skellies. Also, overlapping Neferata’s command ability with the Geminids and overwhelming dread, can completely neutralize most units that could threaten the chainrasp horde. (Assuming she gets both spells off)

I have begun building a similar army, though I favor Blood Knights for fluff reasons. 

Leaders
- Overwhelming Dread

Vampire Lord On Nightmare (140)
- Chalice of Blood
- Amulet of Screams
- Spirit Gale

- Chalice of Blood
- Amaranthine Orb
- Soulbound Garments
- Vile Transference

Battleline
10 x Chainrasp Horde (100)

Units
10 x Blood Knights (480)

Battalions
Court of Nulahmia (110)

Endless Spells
Soulsnare Shackles (20)
Prismatic Pallisade (30)

Total: 1940
Wounds: 93

I think the best advantage of the Legion of Blood and the Court of Nulahmia is speed and the high damage per model. Other armies will try to beat this by surrounding them in a mass of fodder or picking them of at range with shooting or spells. I envision my army as an 'arrow' on the battlefield, as long as the arrowhead is moving and finding targets I should be able to win. If the arrow gets flanked or falls apart as units can't keep up I lose.

Using "On the Double" and "Forwards to Victory" on the Blood Knights lets them keep up with the Court and make charges at distance. The Chainrasps start the game in the grave and are used to protect the arrow's flanks and rear. I don't feel the Court and the Blood Knights with Blood Frenzy need more damage buffs so I use the Endless spells and normal magic to interfere with my opponents ability to damage me.

On 6/21/2018 at 8:54 AM, Macarian said:

I have begun building a similar army, though I favor Blood Knights for fluff reasons. 

Leaders
- Overwhelming Dread

- Chalice of Blood
- Amulet of Screams
- Spirit Gale

- Chalice of Blood
- Amaranthine Orb
- Soulbound Garments
- Vile Transference

Battleline

Units
10 x Blood Knights (480)

Battalions
Court of Nulahmia (110)

Endless Spells
Soulsnare Shackles (20)
Prismatic Pallisade (30)

Total: 1940
Wounds: 93

I think the best advantage of the Legion of Blood and the Court of Nulahmia is speed and the high damage per model. Other armies will try to beat this by surrounding them in a mass of fodder or picking them of at range with shooting or spells. I envision my army as an 'arrow' on the battlefield, as long as the arrowhead is moving and finding targets I should be able to win. If the arrow gets flanked or falls apart as units can't keep up I lose.

Using "On the Double" and "Forwards to Victory" on the Blood Knights lets them keep up with the Court and make charges at distance. The Chainrasps start the game in the grave and are used to protect the arrow's flanks and rear. I don't feel the Court and the Blood Knights with Blood Frenzy need more damage buffs so I use the Endless spells and normal magic to interfere with my opponents ability to damage me.

Yeah I like this list. Definitely the weakness is getting the blood knights charged by a junk-unit or possibly shot off the board. I guess the Pallisaide helps with that. (I just wish it weren’t so easy to dispel)

Archived