1000 points Deathrattle

Prometheo567

Hi everyone. I am coming back to the game after some time and I would like to start small, at 1k points, to play some quick games with friends who are also starting.

I composed this list this way because I like the aesthetics of an skeletin army, so I picked GHoN, but I might be wrong.

Allegiance: Grand Host of Nagash

Leaders
Vampire Lord (140)
- General
- Mount: Nightmare
- Trait: Lord of Nagashizzar 
- Artefact: Ossific Diadem 
Necromancer (110)

Battleline
40 x Skeleton Warriors (280)
- Ancient Spears
20 x Grave Guard (320)
- Great Wight Blades

Units
5 x Black Knights (120)

Total: 970 / 1000
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 80

I am a bit worried that this army lacks mobility or wounds output. Are Black Knights even usable? I would like to think so but... Also, even considering I would need to add another BL unit, is LoN a better pick for a deathrattle army? I have always loved my old Grave Guard, but maybe I would be better served ditching all the Tomb guys...

Last, I could switch the necromancer and the missing 30 points to a second VL. Would it be advisable?

Thank you for reading.

The army looks cool enough, try it out for a couple of games and see how it works for you. The necro is super good and I'd probably give him the diadem and have the vamp lord move around with the black knights, but other than that this is a cool army as a start.

For spells I'd give Vile Transference or Amethystine Pinions to the Vamp Lord (who by the way I'd prefer having as a flying horror, but that's up to you and what you currently have) and Overwhelming Dread for sure to the Necro.

That sounds sensible. I pictured the VL on the thick of combat so I thought I would give him the diadem and the general power. Thank you for the spell advice, btw.

About the VL, I have that old metal VL model on a skeletal horse, along with several foot based ones. I hate the flying horror model but I guess a conversion could be attempted. Also I have one riding a Zombie Dragon, but that could be overkill at 1000 points.

Thank you!

No problem! Just to clarify: I'd put the diadem on the Necro since he will always be close to the big skeleton unit because he wants to pass wounds onto them, and the extra save has great synergy with this. But since you are going for the extra attacks combo it's not that bad of a choice to give it to your vamp lord since you'll want to be at 6" anyways to give the buff to attacks, specially if you do something like summon forward the graveguard using the gravesites while using the black knights to accompany him.

If you are worried about mobility you can always use gravesites to summon forward as I said, the vamp lord moves 10" and you can summon to up to 6" away from him, so that should help.

It really is up to you, both choices have their merit, so depending on what you see yourself doing try giving him or the necro the artifact and see how it works! The good thing about the new death is the variety of options, so depending on your rivals and your local meta you can try out different things. For example, Overwhelming Dread is great, but against in your face armies such as Daughters of Khaine I've had a lot of success using Fading Vigour to make their charges and attacks a little less painful for example. 

The VLoZD might be a bit overkill on a 1k list yeah haha but you can always try it out in a list less focused on skellies and more focused on mobility and see how it works for you.

1 hour ago, Prometheo567 said:

About the VL, I have that old metal VL model on a skeletal horse, along with several foot based ones. I hate the flying horror model but I guess a conversion could be attempted. Also I have one riding a Zombie Dragon, but that could be overkill at 1000 points.

There are many Models where you can easily glue some wings on, and vampires head (I used a spare one from the VLoZD)^^ I don't think anyone really likes the flying horror modell XD

Archived