Warherd Inquiry

Lord Graves

I've used a warherds list at 1000 pts with a Doom bull 2x3 bulgor with great weapons, ghorgon, cygor, and a cockatrice. (Fyi an illegal list as it turns out because it has 3 behemoths) and I managed to win only because we were playing starstrike and  all the stars fell into the middle. While I was doing massive damage, I was surrounded and worn down due to low numbers and only having a 5+ save. 

Pure warherds would probably struggle with holding objectives and having to potentially leave rather expensive units behind to hold objectives. I'm planning a warherd and brayherd armies that will hopefully work because I have not had much success with them individually.

1 hour ago, Lord Graves said:

Interesting. I was thinking that might be necessary as well. I'm going to build my Brayherds first. But I was also thinking that I might want include some Warherds as well.

I've found that brayherds struggle to kill big things fast with just gors and bestigors. Next game I'm going to try to use gors to control the board and to prevent the warherd units from being surrounded.

I play Warherd.  

I've found a few players.  Generally I struggled with unit size as a large one has staying power but those are pricey wounds you are paying for.  The return hit on 6 kitted out was devastating though as high damage and good rend was great.  

On the Beastmen AoS group there was a player who posted this list:

3 x DB

3 x Ghorgons

Cygor

3 x 3 Bullgors 

30 Gors

Great Bray-Shaman.

I'm going to give it a try Wednesday night.  In the past I've played lots of heroes, monsters and MSU Bullgors but I never took the cheap skirmish screen.  

What I like is the changes to now how single heroes can grant the +1 to hit ability within 3" whereas before I took the magethrone.  so I will just have my 3 nodes" of hero, bullgors, Ghorgon, then my Cygor and GBS will try to hero/wizard snipe.  I'll set up the gors as a skirmishing screen or use them as bodies.

I think you don't see them on TGA as it seems to be where the UK tournament players migrated mostly from Twitter and Warherd isn't tournament competitive.

There is a massive explanation on why the Warherd are not competitive in here 

but in summary Warherds in general are not cost effective at all. too many points for to few models, wounds, abilities and attacks. I have always been a Beastmen passionate but unfortunately GW seems like never liked them despite the fact they keep on selling them.

They have fantastic lore from 8th WHFB and considering what was their nature in that lore ("the effect of the purest essence of chaos on a mortal being and therefore the authentic and true expression of chaos on hearth"), I don't really know why we still don't have something similar in AoS. 

On 4/30/2018 at 8:54 PM, Popisdead said:

I play Warherd.  

I've found a few players.  Generally I struggled with unit size as a large one has staying power but those are pricey wounds you are paying for.  The return hit on 6 kitted out was devastating though as high damage and good rend was great.  

On the Beastmen AoS group there was a player who posted this list:

3 x DB

3 x Ghorgons

Cygor

3 x 3 Bullgors 

30 Gors

Great Bray-Shaman.

I'm going to give it a try Wednesday night.  In the past I've played lots of heroes, monsters and MSU Bullgors but I never took the cheap skirmish screen.  

What I like is the changes to now how single heroes can grant the +1 to hit ability within 3" whereas before I took the magethrone.  so I will just have my 3 nodes" of hero, bullgors, Ghorgon, then my Cygor and GBS will try to hero/wizard snipe.  I'll set up the gors as a skirmishing screen or use them as bodies.

I think you don't see them on TGA as it seems to be where the UK tournament players migrated mostly from Twitter and Warherd isn't tournament competitive.

A great addition to this list would be a Shaggoth dragon-ogor especially to take advantage of that juicy spell it provides the GBS that allows to heal it. Plus it has got a great punch on itslef.

1 minute ago, Frozenbeast said:

I have always been a Beastmen passionate but unfortunately GW seems like never liked them despite the fact they keep on selling them.

They have fantastic lore from 8th WHFB and considering what was their nature in that lore ("the effect of the purest essence of chaos on a mortal being and therefore the authentic and true expression of chaos on hearth"), I don't really know why we still don't have something similar in AoS. 

A great addition to this list would be a Shaggoth dragon-ogor especially to take advantage of that juicy spell it provides the GBS that allows to heal it. Plus it has got a great punch on itslef.

Yes I fully agree, GW has been treating them like a division they are strangling to outsource and get rid of.  "let that die even if it hobbles along and people who are passionate make it work"

I think the Lore in 6th is better.  A lot of people got into them because of that, as opposed to the poop flingers of 8th.

You know, I've seen a list where they ally in Dragon Ogres.  I have about 1000 points of them and a shaggoth that I'm really proud of the skin for.  I took a Shaggoth as my PtG once and it failed to wound in 2 games so I dropped the war band, but I will give it a go again.  The problem is I would give up my screen which is where Warherd lacks model count and what people do to make them work.

At any rate I've had a crushing victory and a draw (his Ruse card meant his slaughter queen (whom I failed to wound in 3-4 turns with Gors) and Avatar got +1 to wound and walked through the rest of my army.  

Still It think Warherd are totally playable for us older folks who have all the models from previous editions.  But you have to make them work.  When they hit, they hit hard.

Archived