Charging/Piling-in without enough room to stand.

Mayple

Question

General question.

How do you guys handle this scenario?

5ab92ba5a5faa_MountainDefense.jpg.8fbfe4c78684e0029bf1222b6f73b821.jpg

Okay, so the gray-ish area represents a hard-edged mountain/hill of sorts. For argument sake, let's say it's about 2" tall. The green unit has allowed enough room for a single rank of an opposing unit to fight them at a time, but they're now being charged by a monster, the red unit. The monster makes the charge, but there's no way for it to actually stand where it needs to stand to succesfully make the charge (within half an inch of less) - or even attack. It is in short, unable to balance itself, because it's base is far too big for the small space it wants to occupy. 

How do you handle it? Do you allow the monster to charge/pile-in and attack anyway, by pretending that the rest of it's base simply floats in mid-air? Do you try to tilt the base and stack the monster up that way (Which would still leave it outside of range to attack)?  

5 answers to this question

I pretend it can fit.  I'd never make my opponent put what is probably their center piece in a position where it could get damaged. 

The rules FAQ specifically mentions that you may need to remember how far up a vertical surface a unit has climbed since they can't physically be placed on it.

14 minutes ago, Richelieu said:

I pretend it can fit.  I'd never make my opponent put what is probably their center piece in a position where it could get damaged. 

The rules FAQ specifically mentions that you may need to remember how far up a vertical surface a unit has climbed since they can't physically be placed on it.

So a unit can, per the rules, stand anywhere even if it wouldn't physically be able to? Within reason, of course. 

2 hours ago, Mayple said:

So a unit can, per the rules, stand anywhere even if it wouldn't physically be able to? Within reason, of course. 

No, not explicitly.

However, the FAQ is clear that how scenery works should be part of house ruling, and that common sense and discretion should be applied.

20 minutes ago, BaldoBeardo said:

No, not explicitly.

However, the FAQ is clear that how scenery works should be part of house ruling, and that common sense and discretion should be applied.

Yeah, I see what you mean.

I'm wondering because I regularly place my units as in the above example, to deny opponents the ability to fight with more than one rank effectively. Recently I fought an opponent who had heard that if he attacked me with a behemoth in that position, it would simply hover in the air in front of my emplacement. I didn't know how to take that, so here I am :P By my logic, it's a no go.

In your example, assuming base to base measurement, your opponent wouldn't be able to get a single rank in to fight unless they only have a single rank. The hill is 2" high, and unless their second rank can stay  about halfway up the hill, they would break unit coherency. 

No good answer to your main question about models on large bases though.

Archived