Picking a LoS Build

Bradifer

I've got a few LoS builds I'm thinking between, wanted advice on what you all think would be best.

These are the models I own currently and I'm trying to make my list decently competitive. I have 10 Hexwraith/Black Knight NOS, and Hexwraiths seem really strong right now, just not sure if I want to get into those before I finish all 40 Skelly's.

I don't want to use a BaleWind Vortex as that is a bit harsh for my store and I think that thing honestly shouldn't be in the game as it's only used as a mega cheese platform with little counterplay.

Build A:

Allegiance: Legion of Sacrament
Arkhan The Black Mortarch of Sacrament (320)
- General
- Lore of the Dead: Amaranthine Orb (Vampires)
Necromancer (110)
- Artefact: Wristbands of Black Gold 
- Lore of the Deathmages: Overwhelming Dread
Necromancer (110)
- Lore of the Deathmages: Fading Vigour
Vampire Lord On Zombie Dragon (440)
- Deathlance
- Artefact: Shroud of Darkness 
- Lore of the Vampires: Vile Transference
40 x Skeleton Warriors (280)
- Ancient Spears
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
2 x Morghast Harbingers (220)
- Spirit Halberds
3 x Spirit Hosts (120)
Mortis Engine (180)
Lords of Sacrament (70)
Total: 1970 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 128

Build B: 

Allegiance: Legion of Sacrament
- General
- Lore of the Dead: Amaranthine Orb (Vampires)
Necromancer (110)
- Artefact: Wristbands of Black Gold 
Necromancer (110)
- Artefact: Shroud of Darkness 
- Ancient Spears
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
6 x Spirit Hosts (240)
2 x Morghast Harbingers (220)
- Spirit Halberds
Mortis Engine (180)
Terrorgheist (300)
Lords of Sacrament (70)
Total: 1950 / 2000
Wounds: 137

I like list B better, for the reason being your TG and skellies and morghast and the necro’s overwhelming dread can work together to reduce bravery, which allows your TG to scream. Maybe drop some stuff to make the morghast a unit of 4 to act as your hammer?

list A is decent also, VLoZD is always a great choice and can lay on the hurt with some good regen potential with vile transference.  I’d also put the wristbands on your VLoZD because opponents are going to want to shoot him off the board as we all know, VLoZD is terrifying.

List A is very good, but List B also has...

I personally am not a great fan of spirit hosts. so especially in List B I would turn them in for 2 morghast and 5 wolves. Then I like List B better, because you have more threats on the table.

list A has the legion (magic circle around the mortis engine) then 40 skellis and the vampire lord. I think 2 morghast are ok, but nothing to be scared of...

list b has also the legion and skellis, but with 4bodies a scary number of morghast and with the terrorgheist a scary monster...of course missing out on vile transference 

i guess it boils down to personal preference then  ;-p

I didn't write it in, but I've got another 2 morghast w/ halberds.

I guess I was a little concerned there is basically only one unit to benefit from gravesites/vanhels and that's the Skeletons.  Dire wolves can regen but eh, they might be on the edges of the fight, or might just get wiped completely as a charge shield.

The unit of 6 spirit hosts has more health per pt than Morghast and can regen & be buffed via Vanhels.

Those of you who have played a lot with GH2018 missions, how important is it to have a hero/behemoth at the frontlines or able to solo an objective?

As it stands the other 3 heroes (2 Necro & Arkhan) really can't push too far forward and would never safely spawn a unit from a gravesite.

I'm going to semi-hijack this thread to post my own list as my core is very, very similar, even though I run it as Grand Host of Nagash . I chose 2x40 skeletons as I found I just didn't have enough map prescience/resilience with one 40 man block alone. I also felt the +1 attack on the Morghasts was icing on the cake and that the Gravesand Hourglass and Ossific Diadem combined with Lord of Nagashizzle  were ridiculously good if you chose to skelespam with Morghast support. The vampire lord general came about since he could give a squad of skellies +2(!) attacks each, which could be worth it. How have your test games gone with a single block of 40 skellies? I've never run hosts before, but I imagine they're not that good when so many armies can just put a -1 to hit on them and completely ignore them as was my experience with anything with Frightful Touch when I play tested it.

Allegiance: Grand Host of Nagash
- Lore of the Dead: Spectral Grasp (Deathmages)
Necromancer (110)
- Artefact: Grave-sand Timeglass 
Necromancer (110)
Vampire Lord (140)
- General
- Mount: Flying Horror
- Trait: Lord of Nagashizzar 
- Artefact: Ossific Diadem 
- Lore of the Vampires: Vile Transference
- Ancient Spears
- Ancient Spears
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
4 x Morghast Harbingers (440)
- Spirit Halberds
Mortis Engine (180)
Lords of Sacrament (70)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Wounds: 152

I am, however tempted by your B-list, especially with the recommended swap from spirit hosts to Morghasts. I found the T-Geist sorta lacking against bravery 10 armies, though, as my meta is full of them. The only other thing I was fooling around was with a Coven Throne for the command ability, but it felt like 280 points of donothingness when I ran it better suited for a squad of skellies.

12 hours ago, Honk said:

Not quite sure if you can do this, running grand host...I think you’ll need to run sacrament

You can run any of the battalions under any allegiance as long as all units in the battalion have the keyword for the allegiance. See point 4 of the battalion rules (this is how people run Everchosen battalions in StD and DoT lists). Legions has an additional special rule stating that our battalions also gain the keyword of whatever allegiance they are in. So we can run any of our battalions in any legion, though that means you would need two mortarchs in many cases, such as running Lords under LoB.

Well, they will be focused. That’s why I think they are great in this list. They really take pressure away from other parts of your army and with their movement might be able to charge first turn. And 4 morghast with halberds completing a charge is a sight to behold *evilgrin

Archived