Free Guild Build Options for Skirmish

MightyMetro

Hi,  im a long time lurker, but as yet haven’t built a proper army.  I tend to play small games of skirmish with mixed chaos and stormcast. 

Ive decided i’d like to try a small free guild / DOS warband built from three kits.  In order to get a diverse warband, i plan to use multibuild kits to make members of different units.  These would be illegal in matched play, but fine for open play, i guess.

Id appreciate it if someone who is familiar with the following kits could tell me if my planned builds are, first, possible and, second, a good idea, before I order online.

Free Guild Guard kit:

Sergeant with sword and shield x1

Standard Bearer x1

Drummer x1

Guard with Sword and shield x3

Guard with Halberd x4 (for variety)

Free Guild Handgunners Kit:

Handgunner marksman with long rifle x1

Handgunner x3

Crossbow marksman x1

Crossbowmen x3

Piper x1

Standard bearer x1

Q1) Are two marksmen models possible?

Q2) Can the piper and standard bearer models hold weapons too? 

Free Guild Outriders / Pistoliers Kit:

Outrider Sharpshooter with grenade launcher x1

Outrider with repeater handgun x1

Outrider trumpeter with repeater handgun x1

Pistolier x2 (for variety)

Devoted of Sigmar:

Witchhunter x1

Excelsior Warpriest x1

Altogether it gives me  93 unofficial skirmish points.  I was thinking of starting a new campaign with 25:

Witchhunter 12

Handgunner Sharpshooter 2

Crossbow Sharpshooter 2

Guard Sergeant with sword and shield 2

Guard Standard bearer with sword 2

Outrider Sharpshooter with blunderbus 5

= 25 points.

Any and all feedback appreciated!

In skirmish I think you can only have 1 marksman as he is the leader of the Handgunners and any more have to be rank and file ( same for all types of unit ).  But if you want two, then take the Gunmaster engineer as your hero leader.  He only has bravery 6, but as Order allegiance you can re-roll battleshock anyway.  If you are playing with 2 heroes, then not an issue.  Musicians and standard bearers are assumed to be armed the same as normal rank and file from their unit.  

I have played against Gunmaster and Marksman in skirmish and it is not nice, especially with the +1 to wound command ability. :)

Unfortunately, I don't play Freeguild, so I don't know what comes in the boxes.  

You can definitely build what you wanted out of the freeguild guard and handgunners kit also seeing as crossbowmen and handgunners are separate warscrolls i don't see why you can't take a marksman for both. 

The piper can't carry a weapon in his hands but you could stick one to his back, the banner bearer definitely can.

15 hours ago, Aelfric said:

... I have played against Gunmaster and Marksman in skirmish and it is not nice, especially with the +1 to wound command ability. :)

In a full game, i would be tempted by a Freeguard General for his Hold the Line cmd ability (+1 hit / +1 wound, 3 units in 6”).  However, i think you’re right, something like a gunmaster with Inspirational Fighter (reroll 1 to hit, units in 6”) or Merciless Killer  (+1 to wound, units in 6”) will be more effective in Skirmish. However, if i lose that synergy, I imagine things will fall apart rather swiftly. Thus, the Excelsior Warpriest for healing.

I love the idea of a Free Guild Army.  Its a shame that, if i  have a freeguild general, you have to pay for the horse, regardless of which model you use. Personally, id prefer a general on foot to support my gunline units who are most effective when stationary. I guess he’ll be easier to hide from snipers and in the heat of battle, some opponents will try to snipe  larger models first. 

A couple of different warscrolls turning the different General models into generic heroes would make things much more interesting imho.

5 hours ago, MightyMetro said:

In a full game, i would be tempted by a Freeguard General for his Hold the Line cmd ability (+1 hit / +1 wound, 3 units in 6”).  However, i think you’re right, something like a gunmaster with Inspirational Fighter (reroll 1 to hit, units in 6”) or Merciless Killer  (+1 to wound, units in 6”) will be more effective in Skirmish. However, if i lose that synergy, I imagine things will fall apart rather swiftly. Thus, the Excelsior Warpriest for healing.

I love the idea of a Free Guild Army.  Its a shame that, if i  have a freeguild general, you have to pay for the horse, regardless of which model you use. Personally, id prefer a general on foot to support my gunline units who are most effective when stationary. I guess he’ll be easier to hide from snipers and in the heat of battle, some opponents will try to snipe  larger models first. 

A couple of different warscrolls turning the different General models into generic heroes would make things much more interesting imho.

I agree that Freeguild general in a full battle is definitely the way to go - not so useful in skirmish unless you want a melee hero.

Give the Gunmaster the Phoenix stone and taking him out is even harder, especially when you have two 30" long rifles taking out the most threatening targets.  Most units will only have 1 or 2 wounds.

Freeguild General with shield and in cover is a 2 up save.  After several battles against Freeguild, I just gave up targeting the general as a waste of time.  Take the horse and have the extra movement and attacks at no extra cost.

the one issue i see with your plan is you can only have one musician and a standard bearer between your crossbowmen and gunners.

conveniently there's a free crossbow and rifle one for each as well as pistols and a rifle that can be carried in one hand

Archived