Daughters of Khaine starting army thoughts/ideas/suggestions/advice

Overread

Greetings new member, new army ideas here!

Had a casual interest in making an elf army for years, even tried with WE/HE armes way back a long while back (and then further lost motivation when GW put the nails in fantasy of old - but enough of that).  

Yes enough of that because Daughters of Khaine are out (well coming out) and I'm really liking the design and approach of the army (esp since Slannesh is taking for ever to get some new models out ;)).  So this is a kind of casual ideas/thoughts/suggestions/input type thread on my ideas and what you gus and gals think of them and might suggest to one starting out this army. 

I've already got the Battletome on order, though I'm still waiting for GW to get the Cauldron and daughters kit to get back in stock and for the new serpent and winged models to appear. So right now I'm very much in the planning and ideas phase of of army collecting/building.  Morathi would be great to pick up, but I've decided not to get her yet, at least until I can get a paint scheme together and some practice and get it all up and running before adding a huge centrepiece model. 

Right now my ideas are:

1) Order Serpentis allies. Honestly surprised the Hyrda (or its alternative) didn't make it into the formal daughters army, but as the Order can be taken as allies its by no means locked out. I've even plans to convert it using  the guards off the cauldron kit instead of the two default tamers from the hydra kit. I'd also like to use coldone heads (the hydra heads have always looked odd to me - oversized on the earlier sculpts and on the current rather lacking in detail, esp in the mouth area). Although this latter conversion idea is rather hard to achieve (ebay uk not being that well stocked in just heads!) so unless I can find a UK parts store or a 3rd party sculpt I might have to shelve that idea (esp as the feral cold one is no longer sold so there's harness parts on the plastic GW ones to contend with as well). 

2) Gryph-hounds and Vanguard-Palladors. I've no interest in building a proper Stormcast army are all, but these (esp the Palladors - which are possibly some of the best mounted models I've seen) are great models and something I'd like to put into a second small alliance force for occasional use. 

3) Shrine/Cauldrons. As big a fan of magnets as I am I'm thinking that the contact points for the riders is somewhat small, plus with a desire to have more cheaper mages and bloodwrack medusa on the table I'm thinking that at least one will get sacrificed to "parts and heroes" (not to mention snagging to guard for the hydra idea presented earlier). I've tried searching around, but not found any conversion work really done with these (oft I see work done with the much earlier cauldrons); and I've no idea what to use the spare parts from the main body of the cart for. 

4) Paint - I'll make a separate thread on this one (esp as I'm, not in any way an experienced painter so pointers on paints to use and how to get certain effects will be things I'll have to look into). Suffice to say I likely won't stray far from bronze, gold and silver metals and from the use of red, black and leather brown on the models (skin and hair are totally up in the air at the moment and I've even a mind to consider red metal as well) 

5) The rest of my plan is on hold till I've got the book in hand to have  better idea of stats and points to really start making worth while choices on what to take and equip and build beyond the basics - plus I've yet  to properly read through the big Daughters thread here for ideas that others have had on building up a good core starting force. 

So there are some early thoughts and ideas, I'd greatly welcome any input and ideas an thoughts on this :)

Cheapest: Morathi+ Blood Coven Box+ Blood Coven box+Blood Coven+ 2 boxes of witch aelves. This gives you 2400 pts to choose from for 550$ before discounts.(you could get another normal box of witch elves and drop down $510 but you'd be missing out on 400pts minimum.)

You don't have to sacrifice any of the Cauldrons. Each cauldron only uses 1 of the 3 heroes.

Technically each cauldron uses two heroes as there's the avatar as well on the model; only the Bloodwrack uses one hero and is possibly one that could be converted (I'm not sure how well the base on the medusa on that would fit onto a regular tabletop base and then onto the blood pool on the model). 

I also think the cauldron or bloodwrack would look wrong or empty without the two guards on the stairs leading up (it already looks kind of odd in how it should really have some kind of unit pulling or pushing it along on the battlefield). So if I want to use those two then sacrificing one would be a viable choice.

And yep I'm thinking along the same lines that a lot of blood covern boxes would be the best starting approach to building a core to the army collection wise and model count wise. 

14 minutes ago, GammaMage said:

How does the Blood Cauldron move anyway? Always wondered that...

There's an Avatar of Khaine on top, it is animated by his power (I just made that up).  Now the Bloodwrack Shrine on the other hand...I have no idea.

@Overread I suggest to start with a 1000pts army in mind. That's what I would go with (note that I am competitve player but those minis should be awesome base for anything , tournaments included) : 

1. Obvious stuff- Battletome

2. Blood Coven box + 1 witches boxes , if it's available for you but a lot of online stores still sell it. If not Cauldron/Shrine + 2 boxes of witches

3. Heartrenders box 

That alone will give you nice 700 points army from there on 

1. Another Blood Coven box or another box of Witches + Medusa (if she is available to buy without Shrine)

2. one box of Melusai (assembled as Blood Sisters)

That would be an amazing base to go with whatever army you will be comfortable with and also should be fun play. Also all those things are like 1200-1400 points so there would be plenty to choose from even for 1000 pts army. And with that kind of force after some games and possibly help here you will know where you want to go with an army but it's damn good start)

How it moves is indeed a mystery - Raging heroes made or are making one which has slaves 

https://www.ragingheroes.com/blogs/news/tgg2-update-61-yes-nsfw-altar-of-the-succubi-war-pulpit-dark-elves-male-bits-and-more-knights-of-the-chalice

Although I'd wager that looks to be at least twice the size of the GW one. (honestly I half wish RH were GW as they've some great designs and their mounted units at least make use of actual horses and mounts instead of the tiny ponies that most GW units ride - at least based on scale between rider and mount).

Thanks for the tips - aye the bigger UK online stores are out of stock on the cauldron and elves kit; GW UK at least lists it as temporarily out of stock so hopefully its just a case of them repackaging the models for the new launch and the change in name to aelves. 

That said whilst it might not be a sound tactical choice I'm very tempted to try and get khinari and medusa even if just one kit of each since they are both fantastic looking sculpts. 

No thoughts on the ally choices/options? 

I would go for allies 

Khenari and Melusai are great kits and for a start one unit of each would be very good choice. If there are no Blood Covens available just go with Cauldron + 3 boxes of witches and even if you want to wait for Blood Coven one box of witches will be needed. 

Thanks Dante - any thoughts on the two suggested allies that I've propose above? 

I've not really been into AOS itself, though its my impression that when it comes to picking allies you don't need a full functional force as such (leader and troops). So if going for the Serpents I could, in theory, put down two hydra in a 2K point game; or 3 Vanguard-Palladors and 4 Gryph-hounds. I would assume the hydra can hold their own well though I've no idea about the stormcaste. 

Archived