I simulated Curse of Years 10.000.000 times...

Xarnax

Yep - that's correct - roll well enough to get down to 1+ and the target is doomed, no matter how many wounds they started with! It's powerful and scary, though not that likely to actually happen.

(Well, that is unless the target is Morathi, due to her iron heart rule. Or maybe if the target has a save against mortal wounds and you cause 0 wounds on them in a round of rolling, though this one is contentious and could do with a FAQ).

2 hours ago, Graftonianman said:

This seems overly powerful and will probably be faq-ed to be “1 always fails”. Yes, the current faq allows “auto” hit, etc, but the rules of 1 disallow it. There is no other ability that can kill a max size unit it one turn. I wouldn’t want to play against such a spell. 

Even without the 1+ auto hit Curse of years can kill a max size unit in theory. Also the FAQ came out after the rule of 1 part 2 making it the "active" rule (seeing as the FAQ did not rule out matched play) and to get access to the spell is a 320 point investment so Death players don't just get it free

51 minutes ago, Arentius said:

Even without the 1+ auto hit Curse of years can kill a max size unit in theory. Also the FAQ came out after the rule of 1 part 2 making it the "active" rule (seeing as the FAQ did not rule out matched play) and to get access to the spell is a 320 point investment so Death players don't just get it free

If you get lucky enough. Conflagration of  doom is another spell like this. This is ok. Even with a 1-auto-fail you could still kill 30 chaos warriors, but you’d be rolling a whole lot of 2’s one at a time. That’s fun and exciting and, importantly, extremely rare to happen. 

There isn’t and shouldn’t be a spell that says “meet this condition and target unit is killed, regardless of wound/models remaining.” 

18 minutes ago, Graftonianman said:

If you get lucky enough. Conflagration of  doom is another spell like this. This is ok. Even with a 1-auto-fail you could still kill 30 chaos warriors, but you’d be rolling a whole lot of 2’s one at a time. That’s fun and exciting and, importantly, extremely rare to happen. 

There isn’t and shouldn’t be a spell that says “meet this condition and target unit is killed, regardless of wound/models remaining.” 

So you have an equal issue to Hand of dust? "Pick the wrong hand and your 500 point Hero dies" ..same principle really :P

1 hour ago, Arentius said:

So you have an equal issue to Hand of dust? "Pick the wrong hand and your 500 point Hero dies" ..same principle really :P

Character sniping has always been an issue with warhammer. It was mitigated with a variety of rules and effects (remember look-out-sir?) that kind of worked. I really like that it was finally embraced in AOS. I don’t have a problem with this because it is limited to a single model and part of the overall game tactics; almost every faction has some way to single out characters. 

3 hours ago, Arentius said:

curse of years is extraordinarily superior to hand of dust.

It's a very good spell and you cannot afford to let arkhan just cast it every turn because he will run down the clock almost once per game if you let him. Which is a problem because if you are trying to kill arkhan, you're not removing the 40 man skele blob that will otherwise walk through your army.

• 1 month later...

Curse "Curse of Years"!!! [Vigorous fist shaking]

First wipes out the unit of Retributors send to cast Arkhan down, then deletes the unit of Liberators desperately trying to hold on for an objective win.

This sole piece of anecdotal evidence clearly proves this spell is totes OP!

[More vigorous fist shaking]

41 minutes ago, Arael_Greywings said:

How did you deal with the discussion that you usually get about rule 1 once the spell actually ticked through to that point where it would insta-kill the whole model or unit it was cast on?

you explain what everything does at the start of the game, gotcha moments is generally when people get upset

10 hours ago, Arael_Greywings said:

How did you deal with the discussion that you usually get about rule 1 once the spell actually ticked through to that point where it would insta-kill the whole model or unit it was cast on?

Badly, made my opponent read the spell, read the spell myself, reread the rule of one, checked the interweb and finally conceded the rule of one doesn't apply to this spell as far as I can see. Then posted my outrage (see above) on TGA.

I found this spell to be a surprisingly large jump in power level from other spells I've faced in AoS, auto unit deletion is quite a step up. 

On 13.4.2018 at 8:36 PM, Taketheskull said:

Badly, made my opponent read the spell, read the spell myself, reread the rule of one, checked the interweb and finally conceded the rule of one doesn't apply to this spell as far as I can see. Then posted my outrage (see above) on TGA.

I found this spell to be a surprisingly large jump in power level from other spells I've faced in AoS, auto unit deletion is quite a step up. 

*laughs* people don't like it when they get surprised by such a spell. And the argument: It only goes of like that in around 10% of cases usally doesn't do any good. On the other hand you have to take  the Tzeentch and Nurgle overpower without complaining xD  My main trouble is that playing with people I like, I'd hate to come off as a power gamer, but on the other hand the spell is written rather clearly... So I don't want to actually not use one of the truly powerfull spells we have as it is....

Archived