Can general battleline be combined with allegiance specific battleline to meet the requirement?

cxiv

Question

Essentially, what I am asking is this:

If I have two general grand alliance-wide battleline units and one, say, Stormcast Eternals battleline unit, can I combine the three and use the Stormcast Eternal alliance? Or are the general battleline units ONLY for Grand Alliance armies?

4 answers to this question

1 hour ago, cxiv said:

If I have two general grand alliance-wide battleline units and one, say, Stormcast Eternals battleline unit, can I combine the three and use the Stormcast Eternal alliance? Or are the general battleline units ONLY for Grand Alliance armies?

If your Allegiance is “STORMCAST ETERNALS” then “Allied units are treated as part of the player’s army, except that they arenot included when working out the army’s allegiance or the number of Battleline units in the army...” (p. 76 GHB 2017) would apply.

Those non SCE units would have to be “Allies” as you couldn’t take “STORMCAST ETERNAL” allegiance otherwise.

If you can give them SCE  keyword (say via a Warscroll Battalion like the SCE in ‘GUARDIANS OF ALARIELLE’ where they are on a SYLVANETH Warscroll and can be taken without breaking Allegiance ... comes to mind) then you could fit them in as “not Allies”.

10 hours ago, cxiv said:

I actually wonder. Were allied units even meant in your question or was it, if you can put 2 units of Liberators (general battleline) and 1 unit Judicators (battleline, if the Army has Stormcast Eternals allegiance)  could these fill 3 battleline spots in your army? In this case. Yes.

In all other cases, what @TheOtherJosh said. (also my answer is hidden in his second paragraph, after Liberators are a SCE unit).

1 hour ago, EMMachine said:

I actually wonder. Were allied units even meant in your question or was it, if you can put 2 units of Liberators (general battleline) and 1 unit Judicators (battleline, if the Army has Stormcast Eternals allegiance)  could these fill 3 battleline spots in your army? In this case. Yes.

In all other cases, what @TheOtherJosh said. (also my answer is hidden in his second paragraph, after Liberators are a SCE unit).

Bingo!

Its all based on keywords.

Liberators have the battleline role. Since they have both Order and Stormcast keywords, they count towards you minimum battleline in Order allegiance and Stormcast allegiance armies. But in any other case, they will not meet your requirements, as they lack he keywords of other armies and are therefore treated as allies for them.

Archived