Legion of Night - Escalation from 1k to 2k

TheKingInYellow

So I need to plan my lists out for a four game escalation league, running 1k -> 1,250 -> 1,500 -> 2k with the restriction that your general must remain the same model for the whole league, although he can change spells/gear/artefacts.  This is preventing me from taking a Mortarch or VLoZD as my general as I think it's a bit too points restrictive at 1k.  We are also running 1,250 and 1,500 with only 2 battleline units required.

I think LoNight will be very powerful for the first three games, as outflanking some nasty units and using a hero to  trigger gravesite summoning will allow me to pressure my opponents early.  Here is what I am planning but I would really appreciate any advice from veteran Death generals as I am very new to AoS and Death:

1K List

Spoiler

Vampire Lord - General, Flying Horror, Unholy Impetus, Vile Transference, Shard of Night

Tomb Banshee

5 x Wolves

5 x Wolves

3 x Spirit Hosts

2 x Morghast Harbingers - Halberds

Terrorgheist

1,250 List

Spoiler

Vampire Lord - General, Flying Horror, Unholy Impetus, Vile Transference, Shard of Night

10 x Wolves

10 x Wolves

3 x Spirit Hosts

2 x Morghast Harbingers - Swords

Terrorgheist

1,500 List

Spoiler

Prince Vhordrai - Spirit Gale

10 x Wolves

10 x Wolves

3 x Spirit Hosts

Terrorgheist

2k List

Spoiler

Prince Vhordrai - Spirit Gale

10 x Wolves

10 x Wolves

10 x Wolves

20 x Grave Guard - Great Wight Blades

3 x Spirit Hosts

2 x Morghast Harbingers - Swords

3 x Vargheists

Terrorgheist

Thanks in advance!

While points restrictive early on, if you want that mortarch or VLoZD general later, I'd say just include it from the start regardless.  I'd rather have wonk points to start than end with a list I didn't really want to aim for.

Lists otherwise look fine to me, but I'd recommend getting a necromancer in there at some point.  Vanhel's is a lot to pass up.

Then take both the Terrorgheist and your monster hero, and let your 1,000 point list be wonk as heck!  It's legal!  It's playable!  You'll lose a bunch of games on objectives, but all those games will still be fun as heck as those monsters run around smashing face!

For instance:

Mannfred or generic VLoZD
Vampire Lord on steed or wing
2x5 Dire Wolves
Terrorgheist

or

Voldimort
5 grave guard (just to get a start on the unit)
2x5 dire wolves
Terrorgheist

Given the size of the increments in your escalation league, it's much much easier to fit big individual models into your starting thousand points, and build up your units a little at a time as the league progresses.  Because you can add a 420 point unit of 30 grave guard a few at a time to fit into 250 point chunks, even picking up some other stuff along the way, but you can't do the same with a 300 point terrorgheist or 400+ point monster lord.

The rules of your league, whether intentionally or not are structured to encourage you to start off wonky and balance things out as you go, so IMO just embrace it and go with the flow!

16 minutes ago, Sception said:

Then take both the Terrorgheist and your monster hero, and let your 1,000 point list be wonk as heck!  It's legal!  It's playable!  You'll lose a bunch of games on objectives, but all those games will still be fun as heck as those monsters run around smashing face!

For instance:

Mannfred or generic VLoZD
Vampire Lord on steed or wing
2x5 Dire Wolves
Terrorgheist

or

Voldimort
5 grave guard (just to get a start on the unit)
2x5 dire wolves
Terrorgheist

Given the size of the increments in your escalation league, it's much much easier to fit big individual models into your starting thousand points, and build up your units a little at a time as the league progresses.  Because you can add a 420 point unit of 30 grave guard a few at a time to fit into 250 point chunks, even picking up some other stuff along the way, but you can't do the same with a 300 point terrorgheist or 400+ point monster lord.

The rules of your league, whether intentionally or not are structured to encourage you to start off wonky and balance things out as you go, so IMO just embrace it and go with the flow!

I think that's the answer (EUREKA) , especially with legion of night allegiance. You could make a VLoZD appear from nowhere and smash up some squishy heroes. 

• 3 weeks later...

Ran the 1k list today against Skaven.

40 Clan Rats, 40 Stormvermin, Warp Lightning Cannon and Warlord.

Hid the vampire, used dogs to hold objectives supported by gravesites, put the spirit Hosts into the grave and outflanked the Terrorgheist, Morghasts and Banshee.  

He could only shoot the dogs and they died but the gravesites meant I only was down one by the end of the game.  Vamp hid on the flanks tossing out spells so the clan rats eventually ran over to chase him off.  Once he started moving, in popped in the Banshee, used her to bring in the Spirit Hosts and started hitting the Stormvermin with them backed up by shrieks.

In round four I brought in the Morghasts and plowed then into the clan rats and started chopping away, cutting the unit down to about twelve.

He had deployed his two big units wide to cover his objectives so hitting on the flank minimized return attacks.  Killed about six or seven before they wiped the Spirit Hosts but pileins pulled them away from the table edges.  Meanwhile my Vampire Lord was single handedly tanking the clan rats.  He was using the ability that let his Warlord apply inspiring presence twice on a 5+ so that was keeping him in the fight since he passed it every turn for the first four turns.

Finally in the fifth round he failed that 5+ roll and left the Stormvermin unprotected.  He had to do that since his clan rats were holding both the Lord and Morghasts away from the lightning Cannon and Warlord.  So I brought in the Terrorgheist and it was brutal.

Terrorgheist killed 5 Stormvermin with the shriek, Banshee added two more, then I charged in the TG.  Got 12 killed by the maw and another 9 from the claws.  They did four wound back to the TG and battleshock did the rest.  Morghasts lost one to the Cannon but they and the vamp wiped the clan rats.

We called it then, I won 11-10 on objectives but it would have been far worse if the TG came in before round five.  I lost one dog, one harbinger, and the Spirit Hosts.  Vamp was down one wound.  He was looking at a tabling if we continued.

Outflanked TG is the devil incarnate.  I love him.

Archived