Grandhost of Nagash: Deathrattle 1250 Pts.

the_prophecy

Hi,
i wanted to try a Grandhost of Nagash small list for a good solid starting point. I wanted to have lots of regenerating Skellies and some fast units as well as at least one hard hitting units

This is what i came up to:

Allegiance: Grand Host of Nagash

Leaders Necromancer (110) - Lore of the Deathmages : Overwhelming Dread
Vampire Lord (140) - Nightmare - Lore of the Vampires : Amaranthine Orb
Wight King with Baleful Tomb Blade (120) - General - Command Trait : Lord of Nagashizzar - Artefact : Shroud of Darkness

Units 10 x Dire Wolves (120)
15 x Grave Guard (240) -Great Wight Blades
40 x Skeleton Warriors (280) -Ancient Blades

2 x Morghast Harbingers (220) -Spirit Halberds

Total: 1230 / 2000 Allies: 0 / 400 Leaders: 3/6 Battlelines: 4 (3+) Behemoths: 0/4 Artillery: 0/4 Wounds: 102

iam not sure about the Spells though, maybe you can give me some tips? Iam also not sure if a should using grave guard or 10 Black Knights?

16 hours ago, the_prophecy said:

Hi,
i wanted to try a Grandhost of Nagash small list for a good solid starting point. I wanted to have lots of regenerating Skellies and some fast units as well as at least one hard hitting units

This is what i came up to:

Allegiance: Grand Host of Nagash

Leaders Necromancer (110) - Lore of the Deathmages : Overwhelming Dread
Vampire Lord (140) - Nightmare - Lore of the Vampires : Amaranthine Orb
Wight King with Baleful Tomb Blade (120) - General - Command Trait : Lord of Nagashizzar - Artefact : Shroud of Darkness

Units 10 x Dire Wolves (120)
15 x Grave Guard (240) -Great Wight Blades
40 x Skeleton Warriors (280) -Ancient Blades

2 x Morghast Harbingers (220) -Spirit Halberds

Total: 1230 / 2000 Allies: 0 / 400 Leaders: 3/6 Battlelines: 4 (3+) Behemoths: 0/4 Artillery: 0/4 Wounds: 102

iam not sure about the Spells though, maybe you can give me some tips? Iam also not sure if a should using grave guard or 10 Black Knights?

You can't take Shroud of Darkness in a Grand Host of Nagash list. It is an artifact exclusive to Legion of Sacrament.

Wight Kings are pretty worthless now honestly, unless you are using the Deathmarch battalion. 10 less points and you get a Necromancer, 20 more points and you get a Vampire. Both bring magic (the Wight King Does not), and the Vampire brings a better DI.

I would go with Black Knights over Grave Guard. With 3x the move, 33% more wounds, they are going to be more relevant in the game overall.

Dread and Orb are good picks with the two casters you have.

In general I agree especially since there's an extra 20 points. A second Vampire Lord is going to give you more flexibility overall. Even though the Wight King does have 1 thing going for him (a 3+ save), the other two characters ultimately tend to bring more to the table in terms of spells (and potentially are more tankier with the 4+ pass off wounds save and the chalice/hunger for vampire lords).

The Vampire Lord in particular has a command ability very similar to the Wight Kings (3" shorter range, but effects any Death unit).

That being said, if the Wight King is there for thematic purposes (it is indicated as a Deathrattle army), I don't think at this points level you're really suffering from taking him. All 3 characters (perhaps not necessarily the Necromancer because of his 4+ pass off wounds) can be taken out if they're focussed, so whether it's a Vampire Lord or Wight King may not matter so much.

Overall though, I quite like the look of the list in terms of choices.  A nice balance between infantry foot sloggers and fast units in the dogs and the Morghasts.

My suggestions for improvement would be:

Maybe split the dogs into 2 units of 5 rather than 1 unit of 10. Have a play around and see what works best. It will likely come down to what scenarios you tend to play more frequently as to whether you feel like having an extra unit matters or not.

Definitely run the Skeletons with Spears rather than Blades if you're going to be taking them in a large unit. You'll be adding so many extra attacks if they have spears.

Lastly, as mentioned, upgrade the Wight King to a Vampire Lord if it doesn't break your theme.

5 hours ago, someone2040 said:

In general I agree especially since there's an extra 20 points. A second Vampire Lord is going to give you more flexibility overall. Even though the Wight King does have 1 thing going for him (a 3+ save), the other two characters ultimately tend to bring more to the table in terms of spells (and potentially are more tankier with the 4+ pass off wounds save and the chalice/hunger for vampire lords).

The Vampire Lord in particular has a command ability very similar to the Wight Kings (3" shorter range, but effects any Death unit).

That being said, if the Wight King is there for thematic purposes (it is indicated as a Deathrattle army), I don't think at this points level you're really suffering from taking him. All 3 characters (perhaps not necessarily the Necromancer because of his 4+ pass off wounds) can be taken out if they're focussed, so whether it's a Vampire Lord or Wight King may not matter so much.

Overall though, I quite like the look of the list in terms of choices.  A nice balance between infantry foot sloggers and fast units in the dogs and the Morghasts.

My suggestions for improvement would be:

Maybe split the dogs into 2 units of 5 rather than 1 unit of 10. Have a play around and see what works best. It will likely come down to what scenarios you tend to play more frequently as to whether you feel like having an extra unit matters or not.

Definitely run the Skeletons with Spears rather than Blades if you're going to be taking them in a large unit. You'll be adding so many extra attacks if they have spears.

Lastly, as mentioned, upgrade the Wight King to a Vampire Lord if it doesn't break your theme.

Thanks for the replies :-)

yea the Wight King is mostly because of the theme ;-)

I wanted a list that is solid enough so that i can play around with my favourite characters and still have a good list without netlisting/maximizing everything 

The Skeletons with Spears is a good option  think i will go with that. With the wolves iam not sure because you can easily wipe out a unit of 5. That is way more difficult with a unit of 10 and my opponent has to put much of his damage into a cheap chaff unit.

Maybe i can use the deathrattle battalion instead of the corpse cart so that the wight king has more impact on the army?

7 hours ago, AverageBoss said:

You can't take Shroud of Darkness in a Grand Host of Nagash list. It is an artifact exclusive to Legion of Sacrament.

Wight Kings are pretty worthless now honestly, unless you are using the Deathmarch battalion. 10 less points and you get a Necromancer, 20 more points and you get a Vampire. Both bring magic (the Wight King Does not), and the Vampire brings a better DI.

I would go with Black Knights over Grave Guard. With 3x the move, 33% more wounds, they are going to be more relevant in the game overall.

Dread and Orb are good picks with the two casters you have.

hm i quite like the Command Ability of the Wight King. +1 Attack (automatic without casting roll in 18") is nice and it stacks with vanhels. Sure its no VL or Nekro but in no way a bad character

Archived