Building a full vampire army

Perturabo

Heya guys

after seing the battletome, I'm kinda confuse on the current condition of a full vampire army.

Any hindsights on what to build now?
Cause the blood knights lose the ability to resurrect, and they are not a summonable units.

Any tips on making this army viable?

Thanks!

Full vampires isn't possible to do with the Legions. But you can still go very Vampire heavy and have an awesome force.

Really if you go the path of Legion of Blood you can make a massive hammer out of the Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon. In addition to that we also shouldn't forget the Bloodseeker Palaquin as a fast and sturdy choice for such armies.

In general I think you can attempt to go Vampire heavy the moment you bring in enough Dire Wolves to fill Battleline and enough cavalry to support your key pieces with. Especially Hexwraiths are a great choice to bolster offense and flexability with.

This could be topic 5 about Blood Knights, but there are so many great alternatives I don't know why we should focus too much on them. For most I'd say the issue with their finecast prices is enough of a reason to look into different (plastic) units.

Well, if you want to go for Legion of Blood to benefit of the +1 attack for vamps, I'd focus on a fast, hard-hitting army that can get to your enemy as quickly as possible. I posted a list yesterday in another topic, but the basic core is two vamp lords with wings and a vamp lord on a zombie dragon as general (you can give him the trait to do mw on 6+ to hit and the artifact to re-roll saves of 1 to make him extra scary). From there a Terrorgheist could be a cool addition, but a Zombie Dragon can be just as good. 

As battleline you'd be looking at two units of 40 skellies, which would be summoned forward from the gravesites by the fast moving vampire lords, and a unit of 5 wolves to fulfill battleline requirements for as little points as possible while maintaining your fastness.

This core costs 1640 points if I'm not mistaken, so you still have room to add more cool stuff, but the main point of it is that most of the units are either fast, hard-hitters, benefit from bravery debuffs or inflict them, etc Plus, your heroes all get the buff to attacks from the legion, so that's cool. One thing I'd miss is the Necro debuff to bravery, but he is really slow, so what I theorycrafted is to add a Necro on a vortex, which effectively gives him +1 to cast and a 36" range debuff to the to hit and bravery characteristics.

I wouldn't go for skellies as battle line in a legion of blood, but rather dire wolves. One bigger 20-ish unit as screening  for your very charge dependent blood knights and some smaller ones as cheaper, fast objective grabbers makes more sense than a slow skeleton blob imo. 

But yeah, legion of blood >>> pure soulblight it seems. A full army with a minimum of 10" move seems pretty powerful. It won't win any durability awards, but you'd have a force that packs quite a wallop on the charge. 

I'd still go for skeletons every time. Blood knights now feel almost like a tax honestly, imo just taking advantage of the allegiance ability on your vamp lords is worth it. It gives you way more bodies on the field and you can still make them quick if you summon them forward with the lords. Plus they offer a way better target than direwolves for DI.

Archived