Cogforts, mobile bastions, who has been drawing on dreaming of them?

Thundercake

Talking about cogforts and all the potential future CoS war machines made me think : what if GW uses CoS to do a war machine that's an hommage to the unreleased dawrf tank from WFB8 ?

After all, Disposessed are still in CoS and since they appeared in Dawnbringers, I think they're gonna stay !

Just now, The Lost Sigmarite said:

Talking about cogforts and all the potential future CoS war machines made me think : what if GW uses CoS to do a war machine that's an hommage to the unreleased dawrf tank from WFB8 ?

After all, Disposessed are still in CoS and since they appeared in Dawnbringers, I think they're gonna stay !

If they stay, and I say IF, there are big chances. In order to know it we would need around 2 years. I think by that time most of the fantasy minis would be out of the game.

But there are also big chances for it to go to TOW instead. TOW team is using mainly what has been done, so taking advantage of an idea that was ready to go and model it, if it wasn't ready, would be something very TOWy.

On 3/16/2024 at 10:22 PM, The Lost Sigmarite said:

Let's be crazy, get 2 war machines : one for humans, one for dwarfs.

Not saying I am against it, but I currently can't imagine a good way to differentiate the two. If humans get a Cogfort in the next update, what should dwarves be getting? Their current niche are the Gyrocopters, but expanding on that feels like stepping on the toes of Kharadron Overlords. A tank would be cool in isolation, but between the Steam Tank and Cogfort, I don't really see how another medium-sized tank would fit the army.

I think a Dispossessed war machine would need to fill a completely new niche. Mech suits maybe? They already have stuff like the Steam-Piston Plate-Mail and Piledriver Gauntlets in the lore. Dispossessed are the builders of Cities, so maybe war machines that develop out of construction equipment would be cool for them.

Or  maybe something like a mobile anvil of doom on a steam machine chassis would be a way to go? It would tie together their rune magic and technology themes.

• Like 1

Just now, The Lost Sigmarite said:

What about a troop transport ? The unreleased WFB dwarf tank was intended as one and said to be able to carry 20 miniatures in game. 

It's not like I dislike it, but it feels like that's not really the identity of the Dispossessed. Kind of close to Kharadron again, with their transport ships. And it kind of feels like a Cogfort should be garrison-able, as well.

10 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

It's not like I dislike it, but it feels like that's not really the identity of the Dispossessed. Kind of close to Kharadron again, with their transport ships. And it kind of feels like a Cogfort should be garrison-able, as well.

What about a subterranean transport ? It could transport Dispossessed warriors underground. I’d be unique enough from a cogfort and KO blimp.

I am trying to design the "most accurate ever Cogfort miniature".

According to the Warhammer site, these are the biggest bases:

160 mm round: 

Peanas redondas Citadel de 160mm

170x105mm:

Peana ovalada Citadel de 170x105mm

Which one do you think would be the best for this? I would go with the 170x105mm one. Even if we lose almost 5cm on the width, as it would go a bit high over the base, it can be recovered with the minis going slightly outside of the basing shape.

1 hour ago, The Lost Sigmarite said:

What about a subterranean transport ? It could transport Dispossessed warriors underground. I’d be unique enough from a cogfort and KO blimp.

It's a cool idea. I think this kind of thing would have been perfect for Warhammer Fantasy. But I kind of also feel that Cities dwarves are not really about tunneling and mining in that way. They live with humans and elves in normal cities, after all, not burried deep inside a mountain hold.

I think the question which kind of war machine would be right for Dispossessed (and I definitely agree they should have one, a really cool one that truly tells you what Cities dwarves are about) hinges on the story that the designers want to tell with their reimagining. The new Freeguild have their big shields, because they want to "bring the city walls with them". The Cogfort is another perfect illustration of that idea. The question is, what do city dwarves want? What are they like? Right now, they are just WHFB dwarves, so we don't really know.

1 hour ago, Ejecutor said:

I am trying to design the "most accurate ever Cogfort miniature".

According to the Warhammer site, these are the biggest bases:

160 mm round: 

Peanas redondas Citadel de 160mm

170x105mm:

Peana ovalada Citadel de 170x105mm

Which one do you think would be the best for this? I would go with the 170x105mm one. Even if we lose almost 5cm on the width, as it would go a bit high over the base, it can be recovered with the minis going slightly outside of the basing shape.

The oval base seems right to me. I have built and painted two Mortek Crawlers, and they are on that base. It seems very appropriate for a big war machine that has a bunch of crew hanging out on it. I think the difference in scale between a Cogfort on that base and a Steam Tank would feel right.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

It's a cool idea. I think this kind of thing would have been perfect for Warhammer Fantasy. But I kind of also feel that Cities dwarves are not really about tunneling and mining in that way. They live with humans and elves in normal cities, after all, not burried deep inside a mountain hold.

I think the question which kind of war machine would be right for Dispossessed (and I definitely agree they should have one, a really cool one that truly tells you what Cities dwarves are about) hinges on the story that the designers want to tell with their reimagining. The new Freeguild have their big shields, because they want to "bring the city walls with them". The Cogfort is another perfect illustration of that idea. The question is, what do city dwarves want? What are they like? Right now, they are just WHFB dwarves, so we don't really know.

I totally agree. We don't really know yet what the Dspossesed role would be. We can imagine it would be related to machines, but maybe they give them another twist, so thinking about vehicles for them would always be too tied to their WHFB image right now.

3 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I just want this but AOSified. It’s already different from a cogfort or the steam tank, it looks more like a D-Day landing craft to me. But with runes and wheels.

IMG_9041.jpeg

Edited by The Lost Sigmarite
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Ejecutor said:

If we end up having a Cogfort mini, which type do you think we would have? One with wheels or with mechanical legs?

My personal preference would be wheels, but I would expect a walker. I think that design is more established in the artwork so far. However, I think wheels would go better with the medieval aesthetic of the new Freeguild.

46 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

My personal preference would be wheels, but I would expect a walker. I think that design is more established in the artwork so far. However, I think wheels would go better with the medieval aesthetic of the new Freeguild.

Zenestra's seal of disapproval.

• 3 weeks later...

Now that we have a leaker mentioning the chance of getting a Cogfort in the next edition I think I will scrap my idea of scratchbuilding one. Probably the official one would be released before I finish mine 😅

How do you imagine the official one? Maybe a small one that would act as a spiritual successor of the steam tank?

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

On 4/8/2024 at 8:36 AM, Ejecutor said:

How do you imagine the official one? Maybe a small one that would act as a spiritual successor of the steam tank?

It'll probably be on a 160mm or 170x105mm base, heavily armored (painted mostly in metallics), and probably have some sort of Freeguild crew.

Also guns. Big guns and lots of 'em.

Edited by The Lost Sigmarite