Alternatives to Texture Paint?

I have been trying a lot of new hobby things lately - after many years of focusing almost entirely on the gaming side of things.

One of them is texture paints - which are great - but they don't go very far. Particularly if you are doing the big oval bases.

Because those little pots from GW are quite expensive,I was wondering if there is a good DIY store alternative? I was thinking Polyfiller with some sand mixed in to use instead of Astrogranite Debris?

Will that work?

Interested to hear any other DIY basing materials ideas too.

I've done some tabels for local stores & tournaments by simply mixing in a small hand of sand in with cheap latex paint (and a bit of craft paint to color).

For the bases of my Imperial Guard army I use a mix of: plaster powder, PVA, water, and paint. The plaster/pva allows you to build up some depth, and you can work it with different tools (old brushes, sponges, paper towel, sculpting knives, etc.) to get didferent textures. It takes some playing around with the ratio, as that will affect the outcome quite a bit. It works great for the rocky/desert theme I use though.

@Mandano No thanks for the tip - that was the point really - to get more bang for my buck. I churn out a lot of minis and though that has slowed down considerably now I am trying to improve my painting the cost will still mount up realy quickly if have to buy a pot of the GW stuff every few miniatures!

It doesn't have to be DIY stuff - I just guessed that would be the way to save money!

Golden “Gel with aggregates” texture paints

Specifically the “Pumice Gels”

https://www.goldenpaints.com/products/medium-gels-pastes/gel-with-aggregates

They're a standard artist medium paint designed for painting with acrylics. They come in huge containers and a solid value. 

Edit: It sticks really well to the plastic bases, and I put the medium on before priming. They are a slightly sticky sandy texture. And you’d put them on with one of the texture spreaders, not a brush.

I've tried tons of things over the years, the Golden Pumice Gels, polya fill, other plaster mixes, sand and glue.  But so far the new line of the Vallejo Diorama products are my favorite.  Jars are a great size, spreads easy with a texture spreader and tons of variety to choose from and mix and match.  You can just push rocks, other plastic bits, twigs etc etc right into them and everything sets well.

For my Vanguard SC army, I'm doing a sort of mucky forest base, this stuff was great, I didn't even glue the minis to the bases, just set them into the paste a little.  Holding great and looks like they actually stepped in mud.

http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/en_US/diorama-effects/family/35

Highly recommend them.  I'm using the Thick Russian mud currently.

Archived