Can I retouch something that's been sealed?

Trout

You can indeed!  I will occasionally varnish between paint stages too.  The only thing to bear in mind is that if you're using a wash it *may* behave differently depending on if you've used a gloss or matt finish.  A matt finish provides more surface area for the wash to "grip" onto, so you could find it tints a bit more than normal, gloss has the opposite effect and it'll pool more in the recesses.

34 minutes ago, Trout said:

BTW, why would you varnish between paint stages? What benefit are you getting from that?

I do it for a few different reasons.

On it's most simple form, I'll do it to protect a model.  So I might paint the main "body" of a model and then varnish just to protect it from being handled.  I'm doing this on my Bloodthirster wings to protect the wash before drybrushing.

If I'm trying to achieve different finishes, I'll paint some of it and matt/gloss it and then paint the rest.  Again on my Bloodthirster I painted everything apart from the metallic edge highlighting and gave it a matt varnish, I then edge highlighted so that kept their metallic sheen.

Another useful thing I've done is to gloss varnish if I don't want a wash to taint a colour - normally white or cream.  My Megaboss I gloss varnished the model before I applied some oil washes (I then matt varnished it and did the metallic chipping)

Archived