If you were going to use Archaon....

brimmstorm

Looking for suggestions on my Archaon list. I'm just starting with AoS after having been away from the Warhammer World the past 7 years. I like to plan my whole army and then purchase it all in one go. The only things I've bought so far is Archaon and the Varnaguard, so I'm still open to suggestions. 

Archaon
Chaos Sorcerer Lord
Lord on Juggernaut
Lord of Decay
Bloodstroker 

10 Marauders x2
10 Ungors
5 Marauder Horsemen
10 Plaguebearers(for summoning)
10 Bloodletters(for summoning)
3 Varnaguard 

That is 2000 points exactly. Any suggestions? What would you use in conjunction with Archaon and Varnaguard? 

Thanks for your input!

1 hour ago, brimmstorm said:

Looking for suggestions on my Archaon list. I'm just starting with AoS after having been away from the Warhammer World the past 7 years. I like to plan my whole army and then purchase it all in one go. The only things I've bought so far is Archaon and the Varnaguard, so I'm still open to suggestions. 

Archaon
Chaos Sorcerer Lord
Lord on Juggernaut
Lord of Decay
Bloodstroker 

10 Marauders x2
10 Ungors
5 Marauder Horsemen
10 Plaguebearers(for summoning)
10 Bloodletters(for summoning)
3 Varnaguard 

That is 2000 points exactly. Any suggestions? What would you use in conjunction with Archaon and Varnaguard? 

Thanks for your input!

I’m not an massively experienced gamer tbh. But the key to aos is synergy. What I’d recommend is stick as few of the different gods as poss. Then take advantage of the fact Archaon let’s all hero’s use their command abilities. Stacking command abilities on top of each other will give you a better chance of success. Saying this though, I haven’t used Archaon so maybe others can provide you with better advice for building a list. 

Counterpoint to the above: AoS is all about objectives. Synergy can help you take control of these, but will not make it a given. A list without any synergy can out-objective a synergy-stacked list. 

Just a thought :)

Edit: with that being said, Archeon does create a lot of stacking from his command ability, so might as well take advantage of it.

13 hours ago, Mayple said:

Counterpoint to the above: AoS is all about objectives. Synergy can help you take control of these, but will not make it a given. A list without any synergy can out-objective a synergy-stacked list. 

Just a thought :)

Edit: with that being said, Archeon does create a lot of stacking from his command ability, so might as well take advantage of it.

That's where I'm having a hard time making a list. Do I want to try and maximize Archaon's Command Ability or do I want to have a more traditional army with more models/staying power. 

Random rules question do units I want to summon count towards my Battleline requirement? 

37 minutes ago, brimmstorm said:

That's where I'm having a hard time making a list. Do I want to try and maximize Archaon's Command Ability or do I want to have a more traditional army with more models/staying power. 

Random rules question do units I want to summon count towards my Battleline requirement? 

With Archaon, you're making a big investment towards being able to stack, so I suggest getting at least 2-3 heroes with that in mind, and build an army around them that can benefit from these stacks, but still focus on objectives. For example: 3x Skaven warlords and a bunch of clanrats or such. (Not neccesarily an effective comp, but an example made from what I know could stack 'effectively')

Alternatively, you could go for a smaller, elite, buff-stacking charge-the-enemy approach, where you go for strong, buffable heroes/units, and charge them headfirst into the enemy alongside Archaon, while your mandatory battleline units focus on the objectives themselves. It'd be a sorta Soulblight/Beastclaw way of doing it, but you're sorta already gone down that road by getting Archaon. Might as well go all the way.

Without knowing for sure, I think Khorne has a lot of neat command abilities that will justify Archaon. Possibly. You have some research/number crunching ahead of you :P

Just remember to have objectives in mind along the way.

You could always go with disciples of tzeentch. Have a big block of blues/brimms as his extra wounds. As Well as Destiny dice making sure that archaon actually makes his points back. 

At 2k command abilities are too hard to stack. If you can get his plus 2 others your doing well  (assuming you have a competitive list.) 

Here is a Khorne list that uses multiple command abilities....

Archaon

Bloodstroker

Bloodsecrator

Aspiring Deathbringer

Khorne Lord of Khorne

Chaos Sorcerer Lord

10 Bloodreavers

10 Bloodreavers

20 Bloodreavers

5 Marauder Horsemen

3 Varnaguard

Archived