Priming with spray in winter

Faedryd

I'd like to get my army ready ASAP, but the spray can says it should be used at 15°C-25°C and as much as I'd like to have such temperatures here, I won't get these in months. Also I don't really have a room I could use it in. The best solution I came up with is spraying outside and then taking the models inside. Is this a good option? Or has anyone another solution?

Thanks in advance!

I would avoid spraying in cold or damp weather. The paint just won't stick evenly and tends to "frost", creating a very rough and unpleasant finish that will show under the paint job.

If you absolutely can't do it indoors, consider using brush-on primers instead. They work fairly well as long as you've washed the models before priming with dishwashing soap or similar to remove all traces of mold grease.

I regularly spray GW Chaos Black in cold and damp weather and I've never had a problem. The coverage may not be quite as even (although for plastics that's not a huge deal), but I've never experienced this "frost" you mentioned. I can't vouch for other brands of primer though as Chaos Black has been the only primer I've been using for years now. Just spray them outside, then bring them inside and put them somewhere dry. 

11 hours ago, Faedryd said:

I'd like to get my army ready ASAP, but the spray can says it should be used at 15°C-25°C and as much as I'd like to have such temperatures here, I won't get these in months. Also I don't really have a room I could use it in. The best solution I came up with is spraying outside and then taking the models inside. Is this a good option?

I just primed 3 warbands for Shadespire, and it's semi-moist and 5 degrees C outside. That worked fine. Just minimize the time outside and let them dry inside.

It's not the best options, because that would be primeing inside, but if you can't do that, it's an okay option.

The Big issues I have had have been with High Humidity Levels and High Temps,  but I never had issues when I lived in the UK.  SInce moving to the Southen USA I have been plagued with humidity and Heat issues (I now do not spray if Humidity is above 40%, and Air Temp of over 80f /26c. (Which can be a pain as it can easily stay above 90 for a month at a time... Night time lows being 90s). 

As for Cold, I have yet to experiment below 50f/10c... BUT given the cold snap the USA is experiencing I may try if we get above 45f next week. 

Archived