Stonehorn advice

Pigbones

Hey, all, I have a couple question regarding the painting and modeling of a Stonehorn. I have ordered the BCR Start Collecting! box and hoped to discuss some ideas.

Firstly, color. I was hoping to find the original GW Stonehorn fur color recipe, but I haven't had any luck. If anyone has it and would like to share, I'd appreciate it. Barring that, I had an idea to use the Deatherbringer skin color scheme for the Stonehorn's fur. Is this too dark? Thoughts, alternatives, ideas?

Secondly, stone horns. I saw someone (I forget who) who used astrogranite turf and drybrushing to make the horns actually look like stone. I was considering expanding on this by gluing moss/flock to the horns. I get that most mosses don't grow in cold weather (i.e. the Everwinter) but this just seems like too cool of a modeling opportunity to pass up. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Great idea with the 'Stone' horns, I think if things like moss and flock are going on there is no need to try and do too much detail (like cracks or anything else to try and make it look more stoney) as it may get a bit over crowded and loose some of its effectiveness.

For my Chaos Dwarf bases I use

Dawnstone Grey over a black basecoat 

Then a glaze of green using a P3 paint I have that is close to caliban green GW I think which is mixed with L.medium

I put down some brown and black pigments into selected recesses and seal them

Next I very light Drybrush of Dawnstone mixed with Skellie bone mainly around the edges I can pick out

That's usually job done but would also say then where you put things like moss or flock I'd use some green shade around just that area to mix in into the grey nicely. No idea on that original fur I'm sorry to say but I do think that Deathbringer tone would look great! Oh if you were base them less snow and more forest you could also get some hanging moss from the horns....

7565687-spanish-moss-branch-hanging-from

The forest Base would also fit well for the brown fur

18 minutes ago, TeddyMadeMeDoIt said:

Great idea with the 'Stone' horns, I think if things like moss and flock are going on there is no need to try and do too much detail (like cracks or anything else to try and make it look more stoney) as it may get a bit over crowded and loose some of its effectiveness.

For my Chaos Dwarf bases I use

Dawnstone Grey over a black basecoat 

Then a glaze of green using a P3 paint I have that is close to caliban green GW I think which is mixed with L.medium

I put down some brown and black pigments into selected recesses and seal them

Next I very light Drybrush of Dawnstone mixed with Skellie bone mainly around the edges I can pick out

That's usually job done but would also say then where you put things like moss or flock I'd use some green shade around just that area to mix in into the grey nicely. No idea on that original fur I'm sorry to say but I do think that Deathbringer tone would look great! Oh if you were base them less snow and more forest you could also get some hanging moss from the horns....

7565687-spanish-moss-branch-hanging-from

The forest Base would also fit well for the brown fur

Exactly the kind of stuff I'm looking for, thank you! And yeah, moss hanging down from the horns would look so dope, if done correctly. And I think forest bases would go great as well. I'd still like to include a little snow, I think, it's just a matter of finding the right balance, I guess.

If I was trying to recreate that original Stonehorn fur colour, what I'd probably do is start with Doombull Brown like the Exalted Deathbringer tutorial, but instead of going Tuskgor Fur -> Cadian Fleshtone, I'd go more towards orange - probably Squig Orange for initial layering, then Trollslayer Orange for the highlights. It does look lighter on e.g. the chin though, maybe mixing Cadian Fleshtone in with the Squig/Trollslayer would do the trick there? Oh, and throw an Agrax wash in there somewhere, on either side of the layering.

Archived