2k competitive lists

Diemer84

Probably a good idea to have a thread like this.

I have a list I'm working on towards a tournament in february, based around Neferata and as many -1 to hit buffs as I can fit in.

Allegiance: Death
Vampire Lord (140)
- Mount: Flying Horror
- Artefact: Cursed Book
Neferata Mortarch Of Blood (400)
- General
10 x Blood Knights (520)
10 x Zombies (60)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
2 x Bat Swarms (80)
2 x Bat Swarms (80)
Mortis Engine (180)
Mourngul (400)

I'm still tinkering with it, and if I could get my hands on the models I would love to include 6 Ushabti with great bows to do some character-sniping, but so far it seems to work well.

Last weekend we played 4k points vs 4k (2vs2). We faced a death list with 12 necropolis knights and a tomb king on exalted chariot (and nagash ofc). Luckily they forgot to add a necromancer to their list. The unit "only" annihilated around 700 points in a single combat phase.

I am going to give this list a try in the near future.

Mannfred Mortarch Of Night (420)
- General
Abhorrant Ghoul King (120)
- Artefact: Cursed Book
2 x Morghast Archai (220)
40 x Crypt Ghouls (360)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
6 x Vargheists (320)
5 x Blood Knights (260)
Mortis Engine (180)

Reinforcement Points (0)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400

4 hours ago, AverageBoss said:

I am going to give this list a try in the near future.

- General
Abhorrant Ghoul King (120)
- Artefact: Cursed Book
2 x Morghast Archai (220)
40 x Crypt Ghouls (360)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
6 x Vargheists (320)
5 x Blood Knights (260)
Mortis Engine (180)

Reinforcement Points (0)

Total: 2000 / 2000

Mind explaining the thinking behind the Ghouls and Ghoul King? 'Cause without any courtiers to regenerate them it just seems like you'd be better off with 40 skeletons and a necromancer.

I have a list which I can’t wait to try. I have a 1k version of this list also which has done amazingly each time:

mannfred

VLoZD - cursed book

Varghulf courtier

5 dire wolves

5 dire wolves

5 dire wolves

3 vargheist

6 crypt flayers

10 hexwraiths

A really fast, aggressive army with a lot of potential punch and has a decent mortal wound output including spells. 

The 10 hexwraiths are there to block and soak units until help arrives. With mystic shield on hexwraiths, 3+ save ignoring all rend, they should stick around for a long while.

30 minutes ago, Grimnaud said:

Mind explaining the thinking behind the Ghouls and Ghoul King? 'Cause without any courtiers to regenerate them it just seems like you'd be better off with 40 skeletons and a necromancer.

I am just not a fan of how slow skeletons move. If I had at least two units to corner stuff with or cover more of the table, I would be all for them. On my experience, most armies can just walk around and ignore a skeleton unit. With only one unit, Ghouls seemed like the better choice. The Ghoul King can buff the Ghouls almost as well as the Necromancer, but is far tougher and better in combat if he ends up there for only 10 points more.

As far as not getting models back, it is a bit of a bummer. But they should be priced appropriately without that ability (I know they are not). Also, stuff coming back has never saved any of my death units before. They all tend to die in 1-2 combat rounds regardless of what they fight.

9 minutes ago, Dracothjay said:

I have a list which I can’t wait to try. I have a 1k version of this list also which has done amazingly each time:

mannfred

VLoZD - cursed book

Varghulf courtier

5 dire wolves

5 dire wolves

5 dire wolves

3 vargheist

6 crypt flayers

10 hexwraiths

A really fast, aggressive army with a lot of potential punch and has a decent mortal wound output including spells. 

The 10 hexwraiths are there to block and soak units until help arrives. With mystic shield on hexwraiths, 3+ save ignoring all rend, they should stick around for a long while.

Would you mind sharing what the 1k version looks like?

7 hours ago, m0rdakay said:

Would you mind sharing what the 1k version looks like?

No problems mate!

mannfred - general 

vampire lord - flying horror - cursed book

5 dire wooves

5 dire wolves 

3 vargheist

3 vargheist.

my last game with this list chewed through a whole seraphon army and half a darkling covens army. It was a 1v1v1 match and I sustained minimal casualties. All I lost was 5 dogs and 3 vargheist.

Its a really fast list, super aggressive list with quite a strong magic phase. 

Turn 2 of our game was a disaster for seraphon. Mannfred one shotted his stegadon and general, whilst my VL and a unit of vargheist eliminated a unit of sauras guard, leaving some skinks and a block of sauras warriors like sitting ducks. 

The darkling covens we’re making their way over to the party and by the time they’d reached me the seraphon were gone completely. Then the final turn the darkling covens players killed a unit of dogs and a unit of vargheist. In return he lost as 20 man unit of executioners to mannfred and 3 vargheist. 

I think if there had been a final turn I could have cleared the coven army aswell.

one thing I will see this list struggling with is a heavy shooting based list.

I am currently working on an army and am considering the following.

- General
3x20 zombies (360)
Necromancer (110)
Corpsecart (80)
Mourngul (400)
Ghoul king on terrorgheist (400)
- Artifact: Cursed book

Reinforcement Points (220)

Total: 1990 / 2000

the idea is to merge the 3 units of zombies to get a large horde. The necromancer will grant a deathless minions as well as makig the zombies do actual damage on the double pile in. The corpsecart grants an imporant +1 to casting for Mannfred. Aiding him in casting mystic shield on the mourngul and summoning harbingers.

Variations could be starting with 2 archai instead of the summoning points if it feels unreliable. Or drop 10 zombies and the reinforcement points for 6 spirit hosts.

Archived