Hunters

Theduke

Greetings!

Im looking for some options for ranged damage for my Orruks and I think id like to include 2 hunters.  I plan on using them for hunting monsters as well as attempting to remove small units.  Has anyone ran them to any success and any idea how to build them without buying fincast models?  Im thinking about buying the bits from the thundertusk unit.  Anyone else have any ideas?

I have been trying and trying to get hunters to work, but no luck. The problem they have is that they're overcosted in all of the pool packs, have no synergy and the ranged attacks are poor. You either get two attacks (9" and 12") or one at 18" that hit on 4s and wound on 3s. Most turns neither hit, and when they do, it's often saved. The D6 wounds on the 18" one where you have to run to use it is theoretically nice, but I don't think I've ever actually hit with it. 

I suspect a unit of leadbelchers would be better (for ogres anyway, don't know the orc units), and even then I've not bothered with them. 12" range is the limiting factor. You get more attacks if you're in range and havn't moved...and nothing is in 3"....but really at that point you want to charge them in and get them shooting and meleeing, but I suspect that's not what you want.

From an ogre perspective, the best ranged unit I think we've got is the thundertusk itself. 

On a conversion note, I think, other than the mournfang head he's sat on, my ogre used bits solely from the thundertusk kit (spear arm, arrow arm, sitting ogre body). I'll see if I can find a pic.

DSC_9487.JPG

Too bad such a nice model isnt performing for you!  Thats half the reason I wanted to include a couple hunters just because they look great.  Thanks for the reply.  I kind of had a feeling the number of shots and the amount of damage was going to be an issue.  

Archived