Balewind Vortex for 1000pts?

DarrinTheOccult

19 hours ago, DarrinTheOccult said:

Is it worth a Balewind at 1000 pts? I'm building a list with a Gaunt Summoner, but I don't know if it'll be a waste of points

Make sure you have a few other options to summon if its not needed and you will be good! 

20 hours ago, DarrinTheOccult said:

Is it worth a Balewind at 1000 pts? I'm building a list with a Gaunt Summoner, but I don't know if it'll be a waste of points

It's really good killing off big units, the  Gaunt Summoner (w/ Familiars) + Balewind Vortex for a total of +3 to cast and 36" range for Infernal Flames. It's pretty much going to be bad against Elite type armies though, so as Uveron said, bring some things you can summon.

In my experience, balewind for gaunt summoner isn't very strong unless you are up against all melee armies. I find I'm basically paying 220 points for a single turn of super long ranged magic that promptly gets shot down immediately since now anything can draw line of sight to him and he isn't exactly "tough", I prefer that my gaunt hide in cover and survive much longer. 

20 hours ago, themortalgod said:

In my experience, balewind for gaunt summoner isn't very strong unless you are up against all melee armies. I find I'm basically paying 220 points for a single turn of super long ranged magic that promptly gets shot down immediately since now anything can draw line of sight to him and he isn't exactly "tough", I prefer that my gaunt hide in cover and survive much longer. 

You can counteract that quite a bit with Treacherous Bond and a 30 man unit of brimstones. I have a heavy shooting meta (Stormcast, Hunter span, Rukk, Skyfires, etc.), and I have yet to lose him to shooting, unless my opponent focuses their entire army on him for more than one turn, which means they had to let the rest of my army do their own thing. His real strength is against hordes though. That and area control. That 36" bubble really makes your opponent think twice, even if there are objectives involved.

We play almost exclusively 2,000 point games though. So there might be quite a difference in how that plays out in 1,000 points (15% of a list vs. 30% of it). It also obviously only works if you play DoT. You get less mileage out of the Summoner in any other Chaos list.

8 hours ago, AverageBoss said:

You can counteract that quite a bit with Treacherous Bond and a 30 man unit of brimstones. I have a heavy shooting meta (Stormcast, Hunter span, Rukk, Skyfires, etc.), and I have yet to lose him to shooting, unless my opponent focuses their entire army on him for more than one turn, which means they had to let the rest of my army do their own thing. His real strength is against hordes though. That and area control. That 36" bubble really makes your opponent think twice, even if there are objectives involved.

We play almost exclusively 2,000 point games though. So there might be quite a difference in how that plays out in 1,000 points (15% of a list vs. 30% of it). It also obviously only works if you play DoT. You get less mileage out of the Summoner in any other Chaos list.

You can, but thats a pretty big investment for just a single cast of infernal flames per turn since you are giving up the gaunt's second spell just to keep him alive. I guess it depends on your meta though if you commonly are facing really big units I guess it can pay off. In my meta everyone is MSU so my infernal flames really only does 5 or so wounds per turn to chafe or less to smaller elite units.

Archived