Old whfb player returning after many years absence

Marlowe101

Hi there, I am an old fantasy player 5th ed was the last time I actually played.  But I have just inherited some kits.

Well armies really but I am having trouble actually figuring out an army to put together, it's the double dropdown allegiance o  scroll builder I think that's done it.

With the list of models I have what's a good starting point for either the forces I have 

Ghouls

30 ghouls . 12 crypt horrors 1 zombie dragon and 3 unassembled zombiedragons. 1 vargulf and a ghoul leader 

Chaos stuff is all unassembles

Belakor. Ikkit claw. Skaven assassin and a vermin Lord 2 boxes of maruders 1 box of warriors 3 skaven stormfeinds and 12 gutter runners.

To my old addled mind the chaos stuff is skaven and chaos but apparently they can be fielded as 1 force. 

But ty for reading my rambling and any help rhat can be given

@Marlowe101 

My advice is simple, skip the warschole builder. Just start by playing games using the open play rules until you get the hang of things.  I also find the app a better way to get a sence of what unit is in what faction. http://www.warhammerdigital.com/Home/warhammer-age-of-sigmar-the-app.html 

But it looks like you have a Good start on a Death force, Probably Flesh Eater Courts if you want to go that granular

And yes a Grand Alliance Chaos army can be built from the other parts. 

2 hours ago, Marlowe101 said:

30 ghouls . 12 crypt horrors 1 zombie dragon and 3 unassembled zombiedragons. 1 vargulf and a ghoul leader 

A perfect Flesh eater courts army, if you like them :)

2 hours ago, Marlowe101 said:

To my old addled mind the chaos stuff is skaven and chaos but apparently they can be fielded as 1 force. 

Exactly, just like during the good ol' days of the Hordes of Chaos. All the Chaos forces can join the one banner if you want.

4 minutes ago, Uveron said:

@Marlowe101 

My advice is simple, skip the warschole builder. Just start by playing games using the open play rules until you get the hang of things.  I also find the app a better way to get a sence of what unit is in what faction. http://www.warhammerdigital.com/Home/warhammer-age-of-sigmar-the-app.html 

But it looks like you have a Good start on a Death force, Probably Flesh Eater Courts if you want to go that granular

And yes a Grand Alliance Chaos army can be built from the other parts. 

I never get this advice.

No, you should 100 percent used points. It's how you tell if you'll like an army in roughly 90 percent of all games you'll play. Even people into open play stuff use points.

What you can, and often should do, is feel free to proxy models in until you hit one something you know you'll like.

OFten I start with a core concept of a list, usually based around what's hot. DO a bit of research to see how people are playing the faction you're in to. Then I build up a basic starting core, play it a few times, then start adding in extra units based on what seems narratively cool/competitive/has a pretty model (sometimes I get lucky and it's three in one.) But I'm still largely using old dwarf models for arkanauts, with a bit of converting work for a chunk of them to make them more steampunky.

6 minutes ago, stratigo said:

I never get this advice.

No, you should 100 percent used points. It's how you tell if you'll like an army in roughly 90 percent of all games you'll play. Even people into open play stuff use points.

What you can, and often should do, is feel free to proxy models in until you hit one something you know you'll like.

OFten I start with a core concept of a list, usually based around what's hot. DO a bit of research to see how people are playing the faction you're in to. Then I build up a basic starting core, play it a few times, then start adding in extra units based on what seems narratively cool/competitive/has a pretty model (sometimes I get lucky and it's three in one.) But I'm still largely using old dwarf models for arkanauts, with a bit of converting work for a chunk of them to make them more steampunky.

I see your Point. 

So let me resstate my advice

My advice is simple, skip the warschole builder. Just start by the open play rules until you get the hang of things.  I also find the app a better way to get a sence of what unit is in what faction. http://www.warhammerdigital.com/Home/warhammer-age-of-sigmar-the-app.html you may not even play a game using the open play rules, but get to know your units first. And thats best done by using the app, and rolling some dice even if its a solo game one warschole against another. 

Archived