Starting Wanderers

Malduran

Hi guys, I really want to start wanderers and i am testing out a few lists with proxies but is there anything that i should know about them before i start buying models? 

I really like the idea of lots of archers jumping about the battle field, especially with the wanderer allegiance ability, but is it worth buying the battalion? is that worth it at 200 points?

They are good fun, I really enjoy playing them.

The battalion is a bit of a trap I think. The battalion abilities are cool but they are expensive and rely on a 5 wound hero for them to work. The Nomad Prince is already a linch pin with teleporting and rerolls. Adding  another 240 points onto his price tag just paints a massive target on his back. Further more the battalion is huge and has some significant taxes  built in with the number of heroes and units required. 

A wanderer army needs allies. You need to spend that 400 points on mortal wound output and a tank unit. #cough# Frostheart... #cough#. You need that so much that often you'll run your wanderers as Order so you can get what you need on the table. 

The models are are awesome. The army has a great feel to it. Some of the unit choices are great. Eternal guard are epic, waywatchers are super cool. Glade guard are really neat with their one shot nuke, but a bit naff after that. Spellweavers are sweet at 80 points. But after that the options are a bit average.

Most of our unit abilities do not combo well with teleporting in that they require you to stand still so the army takes a bit of finesse to play well and even then you'll never have the raw power of the newer armies. But that being said they are great fun to play, look cool and make you think.

Hope that helps

1 hour ago, Origin said:

They are good fun, I really enjoy playing them.

The battalion is a bit of a trap I think. The battalion abilities are cool but they are expensive and rely on a 5 wound hero for them to work. The Nomad Prince is already a linch pin with teleporting and rerolls. Adding  another 240 points onto his price tag just paints a massive target on his back. Further more the battalion is huge and has some significant taxes  built in with the number of heroes and units required. 

A wanderer army needs allies. You need to spend that 400 points on mortal wound output and a tank unit. #cough# Frostheart... #cough#. You need that so much that often you'll run your wanderers as Order so you can get what you need on the table. 

The models are are awesome. The army has a great feel to it. Some of the unit choices are great. Eternal guard are epic, waywatchers are super cool. Glade guard are really neat with their one shot nuke, but a bit naff after that. Spellweavers are sweet at 80 points. But after that the options are a bit average.

Most of our unit abilities do not combo well with teleporting in that they require you to stand still so the army takes a bit of finesse to play well and even then you'll never have the raw power of the newer armies. But that being said they are great fun to play, look cool and make you think.

Hope that helps

The thing is... and I've not mentioned that before in the wanderer topic.. but shooting is only in your own phase and combat is potentially in 2 phases.. so good combat troops are potentially more effective (while ranged is ofc saver.. but that doesn't really help with getting objectives, also ranged troops are much more expensive: I mean look at GG 120 points for combat troops with 1 4+/4+ attack... would be insane, my dryads already have 2x the attacks. A 4+/4+ 1 attack unit would likely only cost 60 points for melee guys.

@Aezeal I think that is a little outside of the scope of the topic. 

When staring a Wanderers army you need to know that the army has trouble with playing an objective game due to a lack of resilience and deceptive movement abilities.

They army lacks tanks and mortal wound output and is too expensive for what you get (namely Glade Guard and Rangers) 

It also lacks for decent support characters and battalion options.

But all that aside the army is fun to play and is extremely challenging. If you're going to take it to events you will have to accept that you'll have to play it really well, get good match ups and have the dice gods on your side to do well. 

I would avoid using rangers entirely. But all the other unit options have their place. We'll maybe not wayfinders and waystriders. No idea what those muppets are for. 

1 hour ago, Aezeal said:

The thing is... and I've not mentioned that before in the wanderer topic.. but shooting is only in your own phase and combat is potentially in 2 phases.. so good combat troops are potentially more effective (while ranged is ofc saver.. but that doesn't really help with getting objectives, also ranged troops are much more expensive: I mean look at GG 120 points for combat troops with 1 4+/4+ attack... would be insane, my dryads already have 2x the attacks. A 4+/4+ 1 attack unit would likely only cost 60 points for melee guys.

Yeah well, those Dryads needs to be in 1" from the enemy, where GG can attack at 18". The point is to tarpit with some CC unit and then shoot multiple turns with the GG.

Consider the bows as bonus attacks for yours CC units (:

16 hours ago, Cerve said:

Consider the bows as bonus attacks for yours CC units (:

this is the thing though: we all know cc wanderer units are basically non existing (EG are good but don t put dmg out)so essentially you have 2 units (EG+GG to have the resilience and dmg output of any other unit in the game costing at least double.

anyway, back in topic. As already said you are very welcome as a wanderer player although be prepared to be frustrated at some point at least a little bit and to start thinking to play with a mix order instead (maybe wanderer based but still mixed-order)

6 hours ago, Malduran said:

So mixed order might be a little more versatile? Would a wanderer/sylvaneth mix from the living city be better? Having 2 treelords or dryads come on behind the enemy sounds fun.

Not familiar with sylvaneth but in my opinion if you are planning to play not hardly competitively every tactic that can distract your opponent from your heavy hitters is a good thing. Any big and scary model even if overpriced ( I am planning on an Avatar of the Hunt because a conversion I have in mind and he is ridiculously overpriced but it fit a wanderer theme so I am going with it) as long as you are enjoying playing with it. You have the trees? go for it, try them;s they are anyway 12 (I think) wounds each and if your opponent focuses those he doesn't focus something else. Always bare in mind though that this is an objective based game so build in order to be able to win that.

51 minutes ago, Frozenbeast said:

Not familiar with sylvaneth but in my opinion if you are planning to play not hardly competitively every tactic that can distract your opponent from your heavy hitters is a good thing. Any big and scary model even if overpriced ( I am planning on an Avatar of the Hunt because a conversion I have in mind and he is ridiculously overpriced but it fit a wanderer theme so I am going with it) as long as you are enjoying playing with it. You have the trees? go for it, try them;s they are anyway 12 (I think) wounds each and if your opponent focuses those he doesn't focus something else. Always bare in mind though that this is an objective based game so build in order to be able to win that.

A phoenix is not unfluffy and a nice model too.

Archived