A use for furies

BrocknerTheBear

With slaves to darkness allegiance being able to create generals that greatly reduce bravery,  and skin wolves being available to us through allies for further minus 1 reductions, are we finally seeing a use for the chaos daemon furies unit?

If a unit within 12" fails a battleshock then on a roll of 4+ another model is devoured ..... 

Am I crazy or this starting to sound like a thing? Imagine that one last kurnoth hunter or paladin you wish had run off too? 

17 hours ago, BrocknerTheBear said:

With slaves to darkness allegiance being able to create generals that greatly reduce bravery,  and skin wolves being available to us through allies for further minus 1 reductions, are we finally seeing a use for the chaos daemon furies unit?

If a unit within 12" fails a battleshock then on a roll of 4+ another model is devoured ..... 

Am I crazy or this starting to sound like a thing? Imagine that one last kurnoth hunter or paladin you wish had run off too? 

Am I missing something? I thought that Slaves to Darkness can't ally with Monsters of Chaos? It doesn't make a lick of sense as I'd love to play a "Bravery Bomb" army with Lord of Terror, Helm of the Oppressor, Chaos Knights and Skin Wolves to give out a cool -5 Bravery and then have Furies to increase battleshock losses by 50%.

• 3 months later...

Summoning this old topic back to live:

With mark of Nurgle you could bring Furies in a Nurgle list. There's a rotbringer artefact (some bell?) and a command ability (being ugly?) that each give a -2 bravery debuff. The Slobbity Bilepiper adds another -1. And on the Wheel there's a debuff "non-nurgle units reroll bravery-rolls of 1"; Is there anything else in the Slave to Darkness section that can get a Mark of Nurgle and reduces bravery / forces bravery tests?

I'd like to suggest Reaper Fly Demons to anyone wanting to use Nurgle Furies, until GW produces a suitable alternative anyway. They look perfect.

To me, Furies have never been useless. They're cheap and fast enough to justify a tiny unit of them them simply flitting about the table scoring points. If you're lucky, your opponent will find them so obnoxious that he'll devote ranged fire to eliminating them, which will come as a great relief to your irreplaceable Heroes.

2 hours ago, worblehat said:

Summoning this old topic back to live:

With mark of Nurgle you could bring Furies in a Nurgle list. There's a rotbringer artefact (some bell?) and a command ability (being ugly?) that each give a -2 bravery debuff. The Slobbity Bilepiper adds another -1. And on the Wheel there's a debuff "non-nurgle units reroll bravery-rolls of 1"; Is there anything else in the Slave to Darkness section that can get a Mark of Nurgle and reduces bravery / forces bravery tests?

Yeah Chaos Knights give another -1, as do Skin Wolves which are legal allies of Maggotkin and finally Bile Throggoths do so as well. So all in all you could potentially ditch a units Bravery down by -8. Obviously getting all of them to bear isn't that reasonable but spreading it out it's somewhat reasonable to get multiple units at -4/-5 Bravery. 

The main problem is that both Hideous Visage and Carrion Dirge are Mortal exclusive, so realistically your best option to keep your -4 Bravery bubble alive is a Chaos Lord on Manticore as while a Harbinger of Decay would be great, it's not exactly the most robust hero. So then it's a case of just using Inspiring Presence or investing in some Chaos Warriors so you have a usable command ability.

Maybe something along these lines perhaps?

Allegiance: Nurgle
Sloppity Bilepiper Herald of Nurgle (100)
Chaos Lord On Manticore (250)
- General, Blade & Runeshield, Trait: Hideous Visage , Artefact: The Carrion Dirge , Mark of Chaos: Nurgle
Chaos Sorcerer Lord (160)
- Mark of Chaos: Nurgle, Lore of Foulness: Cloying Quagmire
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
10 x Chaos Marauders (60)
- Axes & Shields
- Mark of Chaos: Nurgle
10 x Chaos Marauders (60)
- Axes & Shields
5 x Chaos Knights (160)
- Chaos Glaives
5 x Chaos Knights (160)
- Chaos Glaives
3 x Bile Troggoths (180)
3 x Bile Troggoths (180)
3x Skin Wolves (120)
- Allies
3x Skin Wolves (120)
- Allies  

Reinforcement Points (120)

I like the idea of the Chaos Knights. Bile Troggoths and Skin Wolves are an interesting hind as well, but I don´t like the modells (plus Forge World is quite expensive...). But most certainly usefull when going for a Nurgle bravery bomb. I´d skip one unit of Marauders in your list to make space for the Furies. This can get really interesting now.

16 minutes ago, worblehat said:

I like the idea of the Chaos Knights. Bile Troggoths and Skin Wolves are an interesting hind as well, but I don´t like the modells (plus Forge World is quite expensive...). But most certainly usefull when going for a Nurgle bravery bomb. I´d skip one unit of Marauders in your list to make space for the Furies. This can get really interesting now.

The Marauders are purely there to fill out the battleline requirement, and the 120 reinforcement points lets you summon up to two units Furies where you need them.

Archived